Has your detector[s] paid for itself ?

• Total voters

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with an $89 detector back in 2014. My hobby account will have over a grand in it at the end of the season and I have not sold any of my keeper coins or jewelry. The retail value of the detector I posses is $3320, not counting all the additional coils, pin pointers, and other gear. I do not account for the gas I use since if I was not detecting, I'd be out doing something else. At some sites I have averaged as much as $8 bucks an hour, but on others the average is about $1.50 per hour. It's a great hobby and it can fund itself if you put the time into it.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bought a Tesoro Tigershark for a lost ring search in a lake...the machine paid for itself 59 minutes into the first outing.... it has now paid for an additional Seahunter Mk II, 4 scuba vacations in last 3 years, and recently an Excal...

Maybe one day I'll even cash in the coffee can full of jewelry I CAN'T find the owners of..

Gawd I love this gig!!!

ag

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paid for many many hours of ME time....priceless in my book.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure not in it for the $$, thrill of the chase is most of the ballgame for me.
When I was a kid I'd spend hours digging random pits, hoping the find dinosaur bones [never did] ... So dirt hunting is in my blood. I have found many a gold ring, but I get a bigger thrill finding an old coin or relic, and I don't discount the possibility that some day I may find something truly astounding.

I keep most of what I find, first year with the Ace 250 I was pretty much selling stuff as I found it, but after that I established a keepers box and have only sold 2 things out of it that I recall.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, the crusty old wheats, indians, buffalos, and V-nickels that I hunt for, along with the infrequent silver dime, just don't buy much at the old detector store nowadays.
Well, there's your problem!:tongue3::tongue3: You gotta start shopping at the at the new detector store! :tongue3: You always pay more for antiques! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure not in it for the $$, thrill of the chase is most of the ballgame for me.
When I was a kid I'd spend hours digging random pits, hoping the find dinosaur bones [never did] ... So dirt hunting is in my blood. I have found many a gold ring, but I get a bigger thrill finding an old coin or relic, and I don't discount the possibility that some day I may find something truly astounding.

I keep most of what I find, first year with the Ace 250 I was pretty much selling stuff as I found it, but after that I established a keepers box and have only sold 2 things out of it that I recall.

Most days are like this for me.
metal.jpg

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
My F2....More than 10X's in clad, silver and gold jewelry.
My Compadre...about 10X's
My Vaquero...probably 2-3X's
My F70....I gotta say at least 3-4X's

Fun, thrills, shocking surprises and a hobby that pays for all your tools and then some.
What's not to love?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started 8/15 with a Compadre and Garrett Carrot from Kellyco. Paid for both with my finds in 2015 (with $s to spare).
Purchased a Vaquero from Brother Soloman and with my year end total for 2016 (with $ to spare), paid for that machine before ever really using it.........
Haven't cashed in any keepers, jewelry or relics..........
Bigger and better finds to come in 2017!!

johnnyleew

Dec 15, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes indeed Garrett ACE 250.Just brought a Garrett AT Pro

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting with the MXT for about 10 years now , this machine has paid for itself at least three times over on modern change alone , when gold and silver jewelry are considered - I believe it comes to four times - silver coins are the frosting on the cake (actually only 4 or 5 ounces worth ) The largest payout by far has been the fun , the dreams , the roadtrips, the adventures !

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All My detectors are paid for before I buy them...with the finds of previous detector. In retrospect I paid for the first one then it paid for the next one and so on.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the US mint would take back all the decaying zincs, yes.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The history I've learned about from the things I find sure have a major major plus side. I was anxious to pay for my detector , easily did the first year or so. I need to sell a few of my finds to upgrade. I hope you stay persistent. ☺

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money wise, not sure in my case, I'm not as serious in my research as some folks here and it's the game changer about the quality of the finds. Even the less "serious" guys like me will have their detector paid for itself, just takes more time.
Memories wise, yes it paid itself in the first hunt (first find was a 1775 clanagh penny;). What I like the most, it that detecting made me discover other hobbies, rock hunting, rock tumbling (found few nice rocks and jaspers) and bottle digging (found couple hundreds). I now have many hobbies for when I'll be master of my own time (I mean retired).

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one, a few times over. That's just due to havin better places to hunt, and I only paid $100 for it used. The DFX, well....if you considered the retail value of things found, regardless of condition, was able to put a price on items of sentimental value people lost, and square nails had a market, then it has. Still, I can't put a price on enjoyment, or the assistance it's provided in researching lost historical sites. One thing that came to me the other day, I have twenty grand in one money market account, and I find more spendable change with the DFX in a year than that account pays out in interest, so I guess that's one way to look at it.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, just recently. The detector itself earlier, but all the additional gear I bought took longer to pay off. 8-9 months of pretty heavy hunting, I was out most weekends and also picked up cans like JasonfromIowa, found sunglasses and other stuff to resell and also got our youtube channel rolling that is paying my best friend and me some good money nowawadays. Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that are both enjoyable and are pretty easy to turn a profit from.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it all depends on how much you swing it. if you put in the hours they will . if you think you will pay it off in two hours a month and that is your main point of doing M Ding find a new way to spend your time.

Hi favored papa.......You hit the nail on the head ! The more hours spent hunting, the better chances of finding jewelry !

However, there are those special times when you score early-on and do the crazy dance like Ernest T. Bass after doing something ornery on the Andy Griffith show ! :laughing7:

HH,

ToddB64

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet, but haven't put hardly any time in on the machine yet (that will change this summer) and hopefully I'll find that 8 escudo on the beach next week!!

desertson

Greenie
Dec 27, 2016
San Diego North County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro to help alleviate my life long gold fever. No luck
XTera 705 w Big ass coil tuned just for rings in the dry.
Whites Surf PI Dual Field for the wet, and going swimming.
Rods for Sewer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes, why just today my beach detector rewarded me with a two hour nap on the beach in the sun. Those two hours would have been spent digging footings at home for a wife's project, so hell yes, every day I get time with one, it pays for itself in spades. :) NOTE: I missed low tide, and the beach was heavily sanded so the nap just seemed the better choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread