Hatchet Spill, Jester Pin, Bullets Galore and More

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Got out for a few hours on Sunday morning. Cloudy, misty and chilly but I just had to go out.
Went close to the spot where I had my first hunt in the "wild". There was a house site nearby so I wandered in the woods.

First had to put some protection on my non-waterproof ACE.. You can laugh but it worked very well 8-)
tmd6 017.JPG

First signal was near a boulder. Pulled out some foil, rechecked the hole and there was still a signal.
Awesome little jester pin. Showed it to my wife. She thought it look like a Girl Scout pin, and she was right!
Once gold plated and from the 60s.
tmd6 048.JPG il_570xN.1117029475_8foo.jpg

Kept wandering towards a big old dead tree.
Found a clutch disc? About 7 or 8 inches in diameter. Very random for being in the middle of nowhere.
tmd6 015.JPG tmd6 016.JPG

Close to the tree found this bottle top with the lead cork? Looks old and blown. No seam in the glass.
tmd6 056.JPG tmd6 055.JPG

After I was done around the tree I noticed a "Blair Witch" bundle of sticks hanging from a rope? Why not swing my coil right underneath? Right?
As soon as I swung under the branches had a screaming signal...
tmd6 019.JPG tmd6 020.JPG tmd6 018.JPG
My first hatchet head! Was pretty pumped about this one. Noticed it was broken so I rechecked the hole to try to get the rest.
Had another signal so I kept digging and to my surprise.. My SECOND HATCHET HEAD! This one was complete too! Woohoo!
tmd6 022.JPG tmd6 023.JPG
I haven't the slightest clue as to why there were two of them, or why they were under a hanging bundle of sticks. But im not complaining. :hello2:

Kept searching the area. Half a Revlon New York reusable lip stick tube! My second of the year. This one with magenta color inside.
tmd6 060.JPG

Throughout the hunt I was pulling lead like no ones business. I stopped counting and it just kept coming. Pouch was getting heavy with lead and iron.
The days total was 16 fired bullets. That doubled my bullet count for the entire year! I also kept finding cut chunks of lead that looked like wheel weights for car rims.
I was right on that one too. Ive found them all over in random places in the woods. I think maybe they were used for sling shot ammo? Also a handmade lead washer.
One of the bullets looks like it has a copper jacket and its concave on the bottom. Any help on age much appreciated!
tmd6 066.JPG tmd6 061.JPG tmd6 049.JPG

I also doubled my shotgun brass for the year as well. 1 UMC&CO Club. 2 UMC&CO New Club (same hole). 1 Winchester
tmd6 057.JPG

Had a heavy pouch walking back to the car. One of the last targets. Pellet gun barrel.
tmd6 058.JPG

Here is the days keepers. Dug a lot and had a ton of fun. I guess you can say I got the lead out. LOL
tmd6 062.JPG

Thanks everyone for stopping by!
As always Good Luck out there and Happy Hunting!
:happy3::usflag:

Upvote 18

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your axe heads. Both look 18th century and could be Indian trade items. Your bottle top is from a Hutchinson soda. The lead cork would have had a rubber gasket.

Last edited:

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!! I love finding axe/hatchets and yours look great! Looks like you had a fun day. Thanks for sharing!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the axes, think maybe 1700s also. my last axes i found had two in one hole, first was broken second was perfect. didnt notice any blair witch stuff going on though lol. HH!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety of finds you brought to light! I too love the early axes. They will look good cleaned up and displayed!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your axe heads. Both look 18th century and could be Indian trade items. Your bottle top is from a Hutchinson soda. The lead cork would have had a rubber gasket.

Thanks for the ID on the blob top bottle Steve. Thought the axe heads were old but not that old. There is a Native American burial ground half a mile from me so its entirely possible.
Also heard from an elderly neighbor they once lived where I was hunting. That makes those potentially my oldest finds to date. Awesome!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the axes, think maybe 1700s also. my last axes i found had two in one hole, first was broken second was perfect. didnt notice any blair witch stuff going on though lol. HH!

Thanks Collector! Crazy you had the same dig..minus the spook factor lol.

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your top 12 bullets appear to be modern 38 special wad cutters
The copper one with the concave bottom is a 45 fmj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the two axes, both will look great in a display.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your top 12 bullets appear to be modern 38 special wad cutters
The copper one with the concave bottom is a 45 fmj

Thanks for the ID on the projectiles Blkcloud. Found many of the wad cutters. Didnt know the name of them. Is that a modern FMJ as well?

flinger

Nov 8, 2017
Burnet, Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknectics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I can't wait to find something besides clad and junk.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I can't wait to find something besides clad and junk.

Thanks flinger. As long as you swing the coil you will always find clad and junk. There is no getting around it. Just be patient, do your research, dig everything and most importantly have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread