Hate the big headphones? Heres a cheap solution

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Hate the big headphones? Here's a cheap solution

So, I hate the big headphones but my detector (uMax Silver) doesn't have a volume control. It's too loud to use without headphones and it's hard to hear the small beeps.

So, $6 from eBay (takes 2 weeks from Hong Kong but worth it) and I have a solution. It has an in line volume control and all you need is the adapter from small to large connector. It works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320308117182

Jason

Upvote 0

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Re: Hate the big headphones? Here's a cheap solution

Jason, thanks for the link! Do you think they would fit a Cortes? :tongue3: Thinking of getting a pair of them :thumbsup:

HH, Kiko ;D

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Yes, they'll fit. You need an adapter like you use to adapt a small headphone jack to a stereo. It's cheap and widely available; I had two at the house already. The setup works great.

It does take 2 weeks from Hong Kong to get the item but it's cheap and worth it.

Let me know what you think.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whenever I see someone wanting a cheap and small headphone replacement, I always give the same advice:

Get the manufacturers specs on the headphones you want to use! Make certain that the frequency response matches that of the detector. If your headphones don't have a good low frequency response, and your detector signals gold with a low frequency, you might just miss that ring you want so badly!

REMEMBER: MATCH YOUR HEADPHONES TO YOUR DETECTOR!

Best-Mike

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008

gollum said:
Whenever I see someone wanting a cheap and small headphone replacement, I always give the same advice:

Get the manufacturers specs on the headphones you want to use! Make certain that the frequency response matches that of the detector. If your headphones don't have a good low frequency response, and your detector signals gold with a low frequency, you might just miss that ring you want so badly!

REMEMBER: MATCH YOUR HEADPHONES TO YOUR DETECTOR!

Best-Mike

Mike, that is SOUND advice!

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe

I completely agree with "gollum". Take a look at the "Rat Phones" made by
Detect USA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread