Hauled in some aluminum today

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a new roof and gutters put on the house, and saved the old gutters, downspouts and brackets from the dumpster, cut them into 4 foot lengths and hauled them in today, along with a yard waste bag full of cans. Didn't bother to weigh it all, was expecting around $50 and got $73. It doesn't quite cover the cost of the new gutters, but it's pretty good beer money!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2004 Hurricane Charley visited us where I live in Florida. Basically every pool cage in a 20 mile radius was destroyed. All pool cages are made from Aluminum and there is a ton of it to make a cage. (Not ton in actual weight :laughing7:) When the insurance companies came around and did their beginning assessments on damage, you could then start tearing down what needed to be fixed and get contractors to start bidding on the jobs. People would just place the cages in piles alongside of
the road. Well with all the used aluminum turned in the prices plummeted for well over two years. The smart ones cleaned the aluminum and cut it into four foot sections and stored it until the prices recovered.

I was able to snag four complete cages (owners permission) before everybody else beat me to it. I stored that aluminum for almost four years in my shed in the backyard. When i did turn it in, I walked out of the recycling center with well over $1000.00
dollars in my pocket. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread