DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first question is what type might it fall under? My second question is what kind of material? It is very asymmetrical with a expanding stem that is ground and has clipped wings. From research the only type I can find that is close is a Susquehanna Broad? Going by the books it is not a type that is found around this area, but the way the natives migrated I assume it could be a possibility. The material is something I never seen around here unless it was something that was heat treated? Have been stumped on this one for a good while. I would very much appreciate any help. IMG_1335.JPG IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1341.JPG IMG_1336.JPG IMG_1342.JPG

Upvote 0

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found some of that material here in Ky. im thinking it could of had long ears. similar to a Wade ,but thats not a 100%. just a guess. ( i changed my post i meant to say Wade)

Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool- I found a broken piece of the same stuff...rare around here as well. I think it is agate. :icon_scratch:

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up in NY i would type that as a Perkiomen. I am not sure of your material looks maybe like a chalcedony type ?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably way too farfetched, but a resharpened to a nub, Florida Clay that somehow made it clear up to Virginia. Just saying what hit me when I first saw it.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since we're all guessing, I'd say some type of quartz, Morrow mountain stemmed... Did you find it in a creek?? If so they will stain it

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some of that material here in Ky. im thinking it could of had long ears. similar to a Wade ,but thats not a 100%. just a guess. ( i changed my post i meant to say Wade)
Kind of similar , except the barbs on this one look like they where clipped.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool- I found a broken piece of the same stuff...rare around here as well. I think it is agate. :icon_scratch:
Thanks. I looked up raw agate and some example looked very similar.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up in NY i would type that as a Perkiomen. I am not sure of your material looks maybe like a chalcedony type ?
You know a Perkiomen was my first thought after I found it. Has a similar asymmetrical shape and stem, except haven't seen any examples with the wings clipped like that. Guess that doesn't mean that sometimes they might have though. Very possible. chalacedoney looks similar material also.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably way too farfetched, but a resharpened to a nub, Florida Clay that somehow made it clear up to Virginia. Just saying what hit me when I first saw it.
It does kind of resemble a exhausted Clay. Maybe someone got tired of that deep southern weather and decided to migrate back farther up north, lol.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since we're all guessing, I'd say some type of quartz, Morrow mountain stemmed... Did you find it in a creek?? If so they will stain it

Found it on land.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
My first instincts were Stanley related or Perkiomen, which I think morphs back and forth some with the Susquehanna broadspears. I can't tell from the photos, but is the bottom of the base burin flaked, or otherwise flat instead of sharp? If so, it may be a Decataur, which might help explain the clipped wing look? We find material that looks similar to that over my way at times, and I just consider it a pretty type of red & yellow hued quartz/quartzite. Cool and interesting point.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at the creek today I thought it looked similar but I dropped it as soon as I got home so had to break out the hot glue to get a pic
7fee56ca76b3662b7434e494c06b9274.jpg

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing screams perkiomen ... though I don't know if they extended into your area of VA. I have never found one but it's on my list of points I'd like to find.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I find in Maryland eastern shore I think coosakid said what I was thinking looks like crystal Quartz I find them with veins of different colors. I was also thinking morrow mountain a lot of them are crude and show a lot of wear.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first instincts were Stanley related or Perkiomen, which I think morphs back and forth some with the Susquehanna broadspears. I can't tell from the photos, but is the bottom of the base burin flaked, or otherwise flat instead of sharp? If so, it may be a Decataur, which might help explain the clipped wing look? We find material that looks similar to that over my way at times, and I just consider it a pretty type of red & yellow hued quartz/quartzite. Cool and interesting point.
The bottom of the base is pretty sharp red. I would put up a pic of the bottom but unfortunately I let someone borrow my camera for a vacation. Probably wont get it back for another week or so. Thanks

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at the creek today I thought it looked similar but I dropped it as soon as I got home so had to break out the hot glue to get a pic
7fee56ca76b3662b7434e494c06b9274.jpg

I see what you mean. It could be. I like the Gator by the way.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing screams perkiomen ... though I don't know if they extended into your area of VA. I have never found one but it's on my list of points I'd like to find.
It does look a lot like one. I am not sure either? I really don't see why they couldn't have been brought down with migration from the north east though? Or any other type for that matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread