Have a question about AT Pro quit working in middle of hunt.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this atp new. Never been abuse, kept next to my bed when not in use. I normally use head phones but took them off recently. I hint tot lots and parks. I run a pro custom program that finds me the rings. I have hunted with this detector woth no issues. I also recently went to a economy battery.

So here is what happened. I sm hunting a rayher lsrge tot lot. I didnt notice i wadnt findong anything after finding several things earlier. As i ran up next to a large metal pole i didnt hear it sound off. Now i can get close to poles but not that close. I started checking connections and sit testing with my ring. No depth whst so ever. I ran it across a few pieces of trash and nothing. The only odd thing was the battery was readung low.

After i got home i turned on the unit and battery was now full. I put head phones on and figured i ran it too long.

It was great weather. No direct sunlight. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Could it just be targets were not there. I did a reset and still nothing. The only other thing in that area was high tension wires that put out a lot of interference. Could emi be the problem? Never had a issue before. Ty in advance for your help.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the typos, ill fix them when i get back to my lap top.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It sounds to me like it might be a battery problem. One of the cells is probably defective. You should consider purchasing rechargeables. They really don't cost a whole lot, and a set should last you a long time. That's all I have been using for the last 20+ years.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a battery issue to me also. It's like working on a car, always try the simple things first. Good luck, and let us know.

HH, RN

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two ATP bought at the same time . Cell phone towers makes one freak out and the other runs fine around them . This sounds like more of a battery issue though like the other guys said . Buy an extra battery carriage and keep a set of fully charged batteries in there . When it happens again switch them and see if that fixes it .

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't had that problem with mine, but I sure wouldn't risk a hunt on economy batteries. Rechargeable batteries or top brand batteries. I use Duracell's and got into the habit of turning it off when I'm putting it down. It's automatic now, and the batteries last forever. But am I wearing out the on off switch?:dontknow:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with trashing economy batteries. I bought a brick of Harbor Freight batteries for emergencies and forgot to stock my usual Duracells with my 400 so I stuck in the HF batteries and got about 3 hours out of them and then the display started looking weird and nothing was happening, like the detector locked up. I dumped those batteries, stuck in another set, got another 3 hours and dead again. So, no more HF batteries and the thing runs great. My wife got me some Giant batteries at the grocery store and they ran OK, but not for very long. I got maybe a dozen hours out of a set. Duracell does the best for me and that was the brand that came with my machine. I see why. Good luck!

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is a good recharger/battery anyways? I need one for my at pro but don't know which brand or battery type to get.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I use rayovac batteries because I had the opportunity to buy 144 of them that were used in a hospital machine once and then SOP was to replace the battery every time the machine needed used. These were brand new batteries that had been used a minute or two. I bought them for pennies each and I found that they were lasting just as long as the expensive Duracell or energizer batteries. I then found that Lowe's hardware store ran a super deal on rayovacs around Christmas time for the past two years. Like a 64 pack for 6 bucks...something like that.
If you are using regular batteries and not rayovac's, give them a try.
On the rechargable note, I bought a used ATX and it came with two battery carriage's and Duracell rechargable's. (green label)
I was surprised how long the rechargable's last.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a battery problem you need alkaline batteries made for high drain devices. I use dollar store Sunbeam 4 per pack at $1.07 after tax. Those are a good buy.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I agree with the others Casca. But in THIS case , one of your batteries has an internal short hence the full Guage later.
I've gotten into the habit of carrying a digital multimeter in my kit.
Regards,
....Mark.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sounds good to me. This lil atp just loves trashy parks. Will change to duracell till i can get some rechargables. My old rechargables are too old.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use rayovac batteries because I had the opportunity to buy 144 of them that were used in a hospital machine once and then SOP was to replace the battery every time the machine needed used. These were brand new batteries that had been used a minute or two. I bought them for pennies each and I found that they were lasting just as long as the expensive Duracell or energizer batteries. I then found that Lowe's hardware store ran a super deal on rayovacs around Christmas time for the past two years. Like a 64 pack for 6 bucks...something like that.
If you are using regular batteries and not rayovac's, give them a try.
On the rechargable note, I bought a used ATX and it came with two battery carriage's and Duracell rechargable's. (green label)
I was surprised how long the rechargable's last.

Cool thanks!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy the bulk pack of AA's from Home Depot (Defiant I think is what they are called), and have been using them for 5+ years.

If you go rechargeable then I would go with Duracell or similar name brand.

One thing to note about batteries (9 volt in particular) they are not all the same size. Perhaps your issue was the no name batteries weren't making a full connection?

I happens in the Garrett Pro pointer all the time.

Good luck.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forget alkaline and NiMh rechagreables. These are Lithium-ion batteries.
You need to get this: Click on the picture to enlarge.
Garrett AT Pro RNB Innovations.JPG
I got one for my Explorer SE. I've run it 6 or so hours now and the battery icon thingy has not moved from full charged yet!

I got it on Amazon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread