Have you ever damaged a good find because of poor digging techniques?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 1866 IH cent.jpg
    1866 IH cent.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 251
  • 1918-S SL quarter.jpg
    1918-S SL quarter.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 1876 cc seated dime.jpg
    1876 cc seated dime.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 1875 IH cent.jpg
    1875 IH cent.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all of us have made a few mistakes and damaged a target either with the screwdriver, knife, probe, trowl, or just from banging around in the pocket. I have sliced through a couple of gold chains too.

HH,
Sandman

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
O BOY bk, does this bring back bad memories.

I can say that my most valuable digs came up in fine shape. But I've creamed my share of good finds.

It seems like when I'm all tired out and digging that last hole through nasty rock and roots that I get careless and then it happens. I cut the plug too small or don't pinpoint correctly and up pops a near perfect coin with a new fresh scratch or nick.

I've kept a few and maybe I'll post a couple tomorrow if you'd like to see them.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I know how you feel....kind of ....I usually stab the worthless junk I find after I pull it from the hole and see what it is that kept me digging for twenty minutes.

Attachments

• stabbed.JPG
    stabbed.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 295

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who ?

Me ?

No Never !

Seems to me, the better the find, the more likely it is going to
be in hard clay. and the more likely, I'm going to end up
chopping into the ground with my trawel trying to get at it.

and of course the second I reach it, I am right on target.

What realy hurts is when the trawel takes the date off
an otherwise great detailed coin.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BK...I think if you haven;t ruined or damaged something good, then you really haven;t been out enough (or you have been very lucky)...Unfortunately, even with pinpointing and todays technology..its not perfect and there is also just our plain carelessness. Last good thing I ruined was an old antique toy Army Jeep, was digging in hard gravel and pushed my digger down hard to try to get some depth and I got it alright...drove my digger down right thru the middle of the jeep, not only broke it in half, but shattered one of the half's...after swearing loudly for a few( property owner even opened the door to ask if I was alright) I realized it was nothing but careless digging on my part and no ones fault but my own. Even with the most careful digging you can ruin something, goes with the territory (hard sharp intstruments driving into the ground in search of softer metal coins, is not a good combo)...but fortunately we get alot of our digging techniques right and find some nice stuff occassionally....and that's what makes this hobby all the more enjoyable...:):)

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I've dinged up a bunch of coins, but they were all modern clad, so no big deal. Here's the one good find that I put my special touch on:

Attachments

• Ford Token Backside.jpg
    Ford Token Backside.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Ford Token Frontside.jpg
    Ford Token Frontside.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 266

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
The worst one I ever did was when I hacked right into the edge of an 1890 Morgan Dollar. It was on edge in frozen ground and it was pin-pointing about three or four inches over from where it actually was. I was calling myself all kinds of names. Ended up selling it for bullion. Here's another bad digging job, a semi-key merc that I scraped right accross the fasces on the reverse.

Attachments

• Best Finds 037.jpg
    Best Finds 037.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Best Finds 036.jpg
    Best Finds 036.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 258
OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
skierbob said:
The worst one I ever did was when I hacked right into the edge of an 1890 Morgan Dollar. It was on edge in frozen ground and it was pin-pointing about three or four inches over from where it actually was. I was calling myself all kinds of names. Ended up selling it for bullion. Here's another bad digging job, a semi-key merc that I scraped right accross the fasces on the reverse.

Ouch! Thats gotta hurt.
Thats a very sweet looking Merc dime too.
I also cut a coin into two pieces using a hatchet and hammer to cut through frozen ground. It was a Barber half. As I recall it was only a well worn 1912, so no biggie. I don't know where it is anymore. I think I sold it back in 1980 when the price of silver peaked, so even though I ruined the coin, I probably got a good price for it anyway.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past three years of serious metal detecting, I can honestly say I have not damaged a good find while digging it. This could just be luck, or the fact that I used to dig larger holes, than I should have, if I thought the signal was good. Maybe I should change my name to Lucky!

Ed D.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ecdonovan said:
In the past three years of serious metal detecting, I can honestly say I have not damaged a good find while digging it. This could just be luck, or the fact that I used to dig larger holes, than I should have, if I thought the signal was good. Maybe I should change my name to Lucky!

Ed D.

now youve done it! you went and jinxed yourself ::). i know i have ruined a few finds with my digging. i think it happens to all of us sooner or later.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one seated liberty quarter in my 20 year collection, and it has a beautiful
groove straight accross the front....
really, really sad.....

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well sometimes you're just fatigued, electrolyte imbalanced from being in the heat, and at the end of your day when you get a quarter signal at 3" and you figure it's just another rag-tag clad rusted quarter. Then you plunge your brass coin probe into the spot a little too hard and you're top dead center over the coin.

and then you dig and find a 1796 Large Copper where you never expected to find one!
This mark looks a lot worse magnified than it really is but sure - shite happens! i find it happens a lot less with X-1 probe to use in the hole. :)

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 222

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Being a newbie this spring, using My previous detector and not having a pinpointer, caused Me to groove a 1898
Barber dime that was on edge-- course it saved the 1881-O Morgan dollar next to it!!
Lose a few, but ..... :(
Now the Morgan is My Avatar!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread