Have you ever detected areas around canal locks?

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I've been scanning for possible new sites on google earth,when i zoomed in on a canal lock near me
it seems like they would be great sites to try.
They usually are large rest areas with picnic amenities and such,looking back i remember fishing at one of these locks
and the area that surrounded it was immense

So I'm just wondering if anybody has had the opportunity to hunt a lock?
i know they are state owned,but you never know

Shawn

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Zilch for me but some club members have hit the occasional large cents. I keep returning hopefully.

Trouble hereabouts is that they are teeny-bopper hangouts and there are 150 years worth of metallic trash all around them. The successful are sniping with small coils (which I lack).

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Yes. Zilch for me but some club members have hit the occasional large cents. I keep returning hopefully.

Trouble hereabouts is that they are teeny-bopper hangouts and there are 150 years worth of metallic trash all around them. The successful are sniping with small coils (which I lack).

Yea i thought about that too.No small sniper coil here either...it would work through all the trash better

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
UnEarthed72,

are you sure it is state owned and not
the fed?

Have not had much luck in public areas.
Have followed, good hike away, and found some
interesting locations along the canals.

have a good un..
SHERMANVILLE

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
In NY the Fed owns the locks that open to the intercoastal waterways (Federal lock in Troy,NY for one), the state owns the Champlain and Erie canals.

I would imagine that there's a ton of trash as well as "land-lost" fishing tackle as well.

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
UnEarthed72,

are you sure it is state owned and not
the fed?

Have not had much luck in public areas.
Have followed, good hike away, and found some
interesting locations along the canals.

have a good un..
SHERMANVILLE

Dunno could be fed. owned lol..
thanks for the tip,ill have to keep my eyes opened for off sites

HH
Shawn

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point. There are Barge Canal locks, abandoned Erie Canal locks and lesser canal locks (Chenango, Cayuga & Seneca, etc). If they are park areas it may be verboten to detect. Some of the old abandoned canal locks that interest me (1840's to 1880's) I get permission on are (I assume) private land that has a right-of-way. The NYS Barge Canal system falls under the NYS Transit Authority/Highway Department and may have odd rules. I have ALWAYS found the lockmasters to be helpful and pleasant (we used to lock through between Cayuga Lake and Ontario on the Cayuga & Seneca canal, part of the Barge Canal system).

There's a nice one right on the Thruway (inside the fence) above Auburn that looks like a good place to sneak a sweep. Probably would be really frowned on to be found there digging. One I have hunted on the Chenango Canal was just absorbed by the State Park system and is now, I assume, under the same strange "OK to detect but not dig or remove objects" ruling as the regular parks. But the river beside it is fair game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions