Have You Ever MESSED Up a Coin? Share So We Can All Laugh, er, Learn!!!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Kas And I were discussing how The most STUPID thing
We had ever done which resulted in a creat coin going down.

I'll tell you a story of Woe.

I had found a 1785 Conneticut copper. All you could read on it was,
Connec. and you could see a ghost of the images on the front and
back. That should have been good enough for most people, but any-
body that knows me know I am not like most people.

So......I took a razor knife, and proceeded to chip away the crusted
parts. That's right, a RAZOR KNIFE.

What I ended up with was a coin that you could read a little
better, with a whole bunch of shiny copper nicks ALL over it.....
.............wimper wimper.

So, the lesson I would like to share is...
Original condition coin is better than a Razored coin.

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

Now it is your turn.

Upvote 0

Turborick

Nov 16, 2006
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
This thread is soooo timely for me. I found my first gold coin a couple of weeks ago and as you can see I put a big cut across the back of the coin. I was hunting in a Union camp and finding lead of many shapes and sizes and it never registered that I should be careful, I hope not to make that mistake again. Anyway here it is, my first gold coin, a 1851 gold dollar coin that I think would have graded high except the small matter of the knife cut on the back. Happy Hunting.

Rick

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 491
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 496
OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Turborick said:
This thread is soooo timely for me. I found my first gold coin a couple of weeks ago and as you can see I put a big cut across the back of the coin. I was hunting in a Union camp and finding lead of many shapes and sizes and it never registered that I should be careful, I hope not to make that mistake again. Anyway here it is, my first gold coin, a 1851 gold dollar coin that I think would have graded high except the small matter of the knife cut on the back. Happy Hunting.

Rick

Sorry to hear about your beautiful gold coin!!!
She is a good looking coin and a great find.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep them coming.....this was over due.

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
I've had more than my fair share of gouged coin recoveries... this one was my hardest one to bear. My first ever bust coin found 15 years ago at my favorite local park, and I put a huge cut across the front of it. It was buried very deep and I was convinced that I had detected a deep piece of garbage and I started stabbing the bottom of the hole with my knife to locate it.... That was a very hard lesson to learn! HH, Mike.

Attachments

• cuthalfdime.JPG
    cuthalfdime.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 404
  • cuthalfdime.JPG
    cuthalfdime.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 396
  • cuthalfdime.JPG
    cuthalfdime.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 401
OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Mike Moutray said:
I've had more than my fair share of gouged coin recoveries... this one was my hardest one to bear. My first ever bust coin found 15 years ago at my favorite local park, and I put a huge cut across the front of it. It was buried very deep and I was convinced that I had detected a deep piece of garbage and I started stabbing the bottom of the hole with my knife to locate it.... That was a very hard lesson to learn! HH, Mike.

OUCH!!! At Least you didn't Purposely scrach a coin like me.
But I still undertand the frustation.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've posted this one before, but here we go again!

Stabbed it at 4 inches or so, probing around with my screwdriver.

Attachments

• seated1.jpg
    seated1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 377

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I've had pics of the coin up here before, so I'll just say that my careless digging (I thought I had a Zincoln at 3") in dirt w/ small rocks in it put a gash on the Reverse of my 1858 Fleagle. Oldest coin I've ever found, and I decked it.

I hope that lesson stays with me, or else I'm just not educable.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
32 years of hunting. I could write a book on the number of coins I have trashed by hitting with the digger or attempts and experiments at cleaning.

A few comments.

For electrolysis use an automobile battery charger set to the lowest setting. Take your time. Speed is your enemy. Do not try to go to far. If you say to yourself "just a little more" then stop there. I have trashed a number of coins and items by going just that little extra. Did you really just plug a wire into the wall?!!!

Most large cents we find are already trashed. There is not much you can do with them. They are an interesting find, a conversation piece, they make a nice display. As for any actual value they are mostly worthless unless they are a rarity. They would be considered a hole filler or cull in the collectors marketplace.

Water is an enemy to old coppers.

Seeker......Nice article on the buckle. Before I saw the name I said to myself that I know someone who found a buckle just like that!

Mark S.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread...is the most depressing thread I've ever seen on Tnet.  It breaks my heart!  To the guy that decked the gold coin with a knife--take heart; don't worry!  One guy on here pretty much turned a 5 dollar gold Indian into can slaw trying to get it out from under a tree root.

I was standing beside my buddy in VA when he dug up an AU early Seated Half--and he chopped it/bent it almost in half with his shovel.  I dressed in black and said prayers for two months...

Tough lessons here.  I have to always tell myself to slow down, pinpoint well, dig carefully, and wait to clean.

-Buckleboy 

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thanks to all for the grim posts.

How long, before I learn the lesson?

I'm a park and playground clad surface digger with delusions of Au drops.
Used my icepick probe today, down to 4" or so...

And I know VERY well, kids get their hands on everything under the sun, and can lose it in short order.
I've dug diamond rings with antique settings in kindergarten lawns, slabbed IH pennies in grammar school turf, and pulled class rings with ruby and aquamarine from baseball diamond outfields.

It's about time I got a small digger for cutting a flap, and a non-marking probe.

A leche digger would stir up the other people to the point of a cell phone flurry... :-[
It just wouldn't match with my 'California Camouflage,' shorts and tennis shoes. But I do wear a 2 pocket workshirt, to carry the digs.

I've got to make a change, before I scar any more finds.
HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OUCH....That Realle-Y hurt's......I remember when I called you from the field thaty day and said I was now a proud member of the LC Club,It was kind of a piece of Crap anyway(No-Dater)but I still had to throw it through the tumbler.....Now it's an even worse piece of Crap :tard:

Attachments

• PB180015.JPG
    PB180015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 227
  • PB180015.JPG
    PB180015.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 235
  • P4010001.JPG
    P4010001.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 223

mercenary

Oct 4, 2006
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
I dug a 1891 indian head about two weeks ago, my first. When I popped it out of the ground, the date was clearly legible at any angle, the detail on the front was great, even as it was dirty! I took it home, proceeded to use electrolysis on it, and no you try really, really hard, you can almost make out an "8" :-[

Fortunately it isn't a particularly valuable coin. From now on, it's weak peroxide and patience for me.

Here's a photo of the aftermath.

Attachments

• CRW_2814.jpg
    CRW_2814.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 214

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my oldest coin a 1907 V nickel. Old coins are very rare around my part of the country. It was kinda' neat and had special meaning as 1907 was when Oklahoma became a state. It was a really nice one with clear markings etc, except for a couple of spots of corrosion. Well, I thought I'd try ny electrolysis machine I had made from one I had seen here on T-net. I fired it up and it began to bubble and I was so pleased with myself. But...yes, but...I forgot about it and left it in the tank all night! It darn near ate up the whole coin and now you can barely make out what it is! Live and learn? M :'( nty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread