Have you ever met a nut who used a Silver Eagle as an actual dollar

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cashing in a coin counter ticket for cash last week and the teller had a Silver Eagle sitting in her coin tray. She asked me how would I like the money, large bills or small. I said, I do not really care. DO you think I could have that dollar coin though.

She did not seem to realize it was actually 99.99% silver but said she was going to keep it and give it to her daughter.

I did not take it any further than that but I walked away wondering how someone uses a bullion coin like that as a simple dollar:BangHead:.

It just looks to nice to spend like it was a Susan B or something

Upvote 0

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
She should have gave you it. So you could make good use of it

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josephiking said:

I agree but what could I do

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

That is a heck of a judgement you are making. Perhaps, the ASE will be a cherished heirloom that the daughter will hold long after her mother leaves this life? Perhaps, the ASE will kick-start an interest in coins for the daughter that leads to a lifetime of numismatics?

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
That is a heck of a judgement you are making. Perhaps, the ASE will be a cherished heirloom that the daughter will hold long after her mother leaves this life? Perhaps, the ASE will kick-start an interest in coins for the daughter that leads to a lifetime of numismatics?

I was just saying...

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
Just tell her you would pay her $10 for it. See what she says.

I thought about that but I said to myself I will let it go. Her daughter will probably think it is really cool and I will get it at another bank when she spends it on candy

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Bring her in like 10 ikes for her daughter to have and like 3 halves.. I bet you'll get more stuff too.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does happen from time to time. About a year ago I got a call from one of my tellers asking me to come by and look at some "silver dollars" another teller had taken in. When I got there they pulled two tubes of "dollars" from the drawer. Turned out that a customer had brought in 2 tubes of silver rounds that had a design similar to the Morgan dollar. Teller wasn't sure what they were but gave the customer $1.00 each for them. Then another teller bought them for herself. Turned out there was 40 1 oz silver rounds. Tried to buy them but the teller wanted them for herself.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does happen from time to time. About a year ago I got a call from one of my tellers asking me to come by and look at some "silver dollars" another teller had taken in. When I got there they pulled two tubes of "dollars" from the drawer. Turned out that a customer had brought in 2 tubes of silver rounds that had a design similar to the Morgan dollar. Teller wasn't sure what they were but gave the customer $1.00 each for them. Then another teller bought them for herself. Turned out there was 40 1 oz silver rounds. Tried to buy them but the teller wanted them for herself.

OMG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread