spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking back on the thread about great guitarists, very few of them had the pipes to match their playing ability. There are a few exceptions, but very few as far as I can see. I would give a nod to Santana and a slight nod to Clapton, Jimi's voice was right there with (Robert Zimmerman) bad :laughing7:

Here's the challange.. Name the best guitarist with great vocals... :P

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
I would give Eric Clapton (Aka Slowhand)) more of a slight nod... lmao.... not only is he a genius with the guitar, but he can sing, he has had many many hits and they did not come from his guitar, they came from his vocals... Eric Patrick Clapton, CBE (born March 30, 1945) is an English blues-rock guitarist and singer-songwriter. Clapton is the only person who has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times; as a solo performer, as well as a member of rock bands the Yardbirds and Cream.
Eric Clapton has given over 40 years of his life to the music industry but December 22,1991 might be the most memorable day of the all time favorite guitarist after the release of the movie “Rush” for which he scored the music. Though most of his music was instrumental but he also contributed the movie soundtrack and six Grammy Awards winner song "Tears in Heaven" that has been believed to be a tribute to the Eric’s son who died at the age of 4 year. This musical work by Clapton is being supposed to be the most notable work on his credit list. Rush movie stars Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason and was directed by Lili Fini Zanuck.

Clapton efforts to become a blue guitarist started in his early teenage years and he was just 21 years old when he got his first major hit album “Bluesbreakers” and his work was so inspirational that a fan of him gave him the title of "Clapton is God" that later on became a trademark signature phrase for him. Clapton in his autobiography accepts the fact that his span with the band “John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers” helped him to establish himself as the mature guitarist.
Eric Clapton, who was put on the number 4 spot on the 2010 Gibson's Top 50 Guitarists of All Time list, again came in the limelight when the famous website “WikiLeaks” revealed that Eric Clapton name was suggested as the lead performer for a concert at Pyongyang, North Korea to buildup possible goodwill between the two territories. The suggestion was forwarded to U.S. Embassy in Seoul, South Korea to make the concert arrangements however things did not work out. Eric’s name was particularly considered because North Korean leader, Kim Jong-Il's second son is a huge fan of the rock star.
Clapton known for his collaborations only with the best musicians will be touring US and Canada in 2011 and dates have already been announced. Eric will be supported by the rock band “Los Lobos” who previously appeared in 2007 at EC's 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival. The Eric Clapton tour will open on Feb 25, 2011 and will run through May 24, 2011. Eric will also perform a series of six concerts at the Royal Albert Hall, London from May 17 through May 24, 2011. BBC Radio 2 will broadcast an interview "When Jools Holland Met Eric Clapton" on December 25 when Eric and Jools will discuss about their shared interest in blues.
Eric Clapton fans now have a chance to get one of the 70 guitars and 70 amps that belong to Eric during an auction in New York City on March 9, 2011 to benefit the Crossroads Centre in London.

Me and Mr. JohnsonBand: Eric Clapton
Record Label: Warner Bros. Records, Inc.
Released: 2004

Concert for GeorgeBand: Concert for George
Record Label: Warner Music Group
Released: 2003

ReptileBand: Eric Clapton
Record Label: Reprise
Released: 2001

Riding with the KingBand: Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Released: 2000

PilgrimBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1998

The Very Best of CreamBand: Cream
Record Label: Polydor Records
Released: 1995

From the CradleBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1994

Unplugged: Eric ClaptonBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1992

RushBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1992

24 NightsBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1991

JourneymanBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1989

AugustBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1986

Behind the SunBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1985

Time Pieces, Vol. 2: Live in the '70sBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1985

Money and CigarettesBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1983

Time Pieces: Best of Eric ClaptonBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1982

Another TicketBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1981

Just One NightBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1980

BacklessBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1978

SlowhandBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1977

No Reason to CryBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1976

E.C. Was HereBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1975

There's One in Every CrowdBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1975

461 Ocean BoulevardBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1974

Eric Clapton's Rainbow ConcertBand: Eric Clapton
Record Label: RSO
Released: 1973

Live Cream, Vol. 2Band: Cream
Record Label: Atco
Released: 1972

Eric ClaptonBand: Eric Clapton
Released: 1970

Live Cream, Vol. 1Band: Cream
Released: 1970

Live Peace in Toronto, 1969Band: John Lennon & the Plastic Ono Band
Record Label: Apple Records
Released: 1969

Blind FaithBand: Blind Faith

GoodbyeBand: Cream

Wheels of FireBand: Cream
Released: 1968

Disraeli GearsBand: Cream
Released: 1967

Fresh CreamBand: Cream
Released: 1966

Bluesbreakers with Eric ClaptonBand: John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers
Record Label: Deram
Released: 1966

:headbang:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I am not well versed in music knowledge, but I know what I like. That's what counts :icon_thumleft: I'm saying clapton right off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll think of others, Brad Paisly will make his mark in time. but for my it's eric. I've noticed he always seems to get knocked a little. Never really understood why. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no doubt that Clapton can somewhat sing, but when you mention Cream, Blind Faith for example, Eric is not the main voice. In Cream it was Jack Bruce, in Blind Faith it was Stevie Windwood. In the Yardbirds the vocals went to Keith Relf, in Jon Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, John did the vocals. Yes Eric can carry a tune, but his vocals aren't in close to his guitar playing.

I believe that most super talented guitar players use their energy to focus on the sound they are playing and that in essence is their voice.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt, I"ll go along with that choice for ability and vocals.

Jeff, ooooooouuuuh Greg should never have attempted those vocals on his own. :laughing7: Keith vocals did help in the harmony department :tongue3:

A little note on this group.. EL&P almost became HELP as there were rumors that Hendrix was going to join them :icon_thumleft: Now, those were the heydays of classic rock :headbang:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Jeff! :hello: I love susan, I do. but her guitar playing almost hurts :dontknow: Just joking, glad to see someone else who knows who she is. I was wondering which female would be listed first. Her 'angel from Montgomery' is the best. :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Jeff! :hello: I love susan, I do. but her guitar playing almost hurts :dontknow: Just joking, glad to see someone else who knows who she is. I was wondering which female would be listed first. Her 'angel from Montgomery' is the best. :icon_thumleft:

I Think this song made me fall in love with her ;D :coffee2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvvlLs8ScIQ

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Pete Townsend, Pete Frampton- all great
guitarists.

But, IMHO, Stevie was the most dynamic and powerful, w/ a great blues voice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread