Have you ever played a trick while treasure hunting?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies Gentlemen: When I returned to Mexico I had a no.of silver Babbitt bars which I intended to cast into diving weights. I had these in a sack of about 75 pounds. These bars were of a size to correspond to about 10 lbs each. they looked like oxidized silver. Because of the high silver etc., content, they clinked instead of clunked.

One day I went to a small village / ranch at the end of a unimproved road to check on two treasures. After a long dusty hot trip, we arrived and of course were invited to the traditional coffee. While drinking it and into small talk, I asked if they had any treasure stories, they said no.

When we finished, my compadre and I left in my New Chevy 3/4 ton pickup and camper shell to check out the spot that we had come for . Nothing, after a few dusty, hot, sweaty, hours of searching, we returned to the ranch. On the way I remembered the Babbitt bars in the sack and suggested that we play a trick on the ranch group,. he agreed.

When we arrived, I parked the pickup away from the ranch house, and while my compadre went to the house to set up more coffee and seemingly tried to keep their attention away from me, I carefully opened the back of the shell, and after apparently looking around to see that no one was looking, (snicker) I carerfully pulled the sack out and went to the passengers side, obviously carrying a very heavy sack which clinked agreeably on each step. I opened the passenger's door and dropped the sack inside, which made another extremely impressive clink. I then made show of locking and rechecking the door, then went to the house for my coffee.

As we were drinking it one of the men asked, "did you find anything"? With a straight face, my compadre said "NO" . A little later another asked the same question, again my compadre answered "NO". As we were getting ready to leave, I went to the pickup and again went through my little act of putting the sack back inside of the shell in a box with a padlock, unfortunately, forgetting to lock it he heh e.. One of the men then suddenly decided that yes, he had a fence post treasure of his former boss to look for. We agreed that we still had time to go look for it..

It was now dark, but six entered the shell and sat on the seats along the sides. I could see them clearly by the running / lights. As soon as we left the ranch, one of them opened the box took out one of the "Silver" bars. After hefting , scratching, and tasting it, passed it around, they all were grinning. When we arrived a the point, the bar was again inside of the box. No-one said anything. The area was quickly searched, nothing, so we returned to the Ranch where we again went through the coffee routine, where again we were asked if we had found anything. Of course we denied it and quickly directed the conversation to another subject.

A little later my friend took out a bank loan to rebuild his house. About this time some of the men from the ranch came by and saw this. To them, it confirmed what they had thought, 'we had found a nice silver bar treasure from the mule train' .

Our success is still told of in the campfires or coffee sessions up there, it revives their faith in treasures.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: those are all good .................kinda like taping a BB to the coil :laughing7:

C

coloradocav

Heck yeah, one time I slipped a penny inside of our friends loop cover. After about 20 minutes he figured it out, he was quite unhappy with us the rest of the day!

One thing that me and my buddies always do is when someone finds a goody, the other guy holds out his hand with his eyes closed and the find is dropped in the hand and the person has to guess or at least feel the weight of the ring, etc. One day at a lake I was with a buddy and I noticed a crayfish in the water. I grabbed it by the middle and then yelled "YEAH!" and walked over to him. I said "Wait until you feel the weight of this one!" He closed his eyes and held out his hand. As I lowered the "find" the crayfish put out both pincers and clamped down on his hand as I let it fall. He let out a loud swear word and jumped a mile! It must have been bad because I have never heard this guy swear once since I have known him, until that day! He never trusted me again. Another friend always let me drop anything in his hand. Grasshoppers, grubs, dried cow paddies, you name it and it has fallen into his hand. This guy gets me back at least. This is the same guy that I planted a penny in a fresh pile of doggie doodoo and he hit it with his search coil. We also plant weird things hoping the other guy will stumble upon it.
There has been many days when my gut was sore from laughing so hard while detecting. It got to the point were I would have to convince my buddy that his good find wasn't planted by me and that he actually found it.
It all works out good in the end. Parks that were once crowed with people, empty out from the two madmen yelling, running around and laughing. Instead of people asking me their same annoying questions, they take one look and slowly head the other direction. I wish it could always be like that!
Cheers,
Dave.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go back east and detect, I've walked up to my buddies with an old colonial button, and say, "GW?" This looks too old for a President Bush button" That or "Cub Scouts of America belt plate?" You can only do this so many times before not being invited to hunt.
Carl

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orale, Real de Tayopa! That's a pretty funny story and I can just see those paisanos checking out the 'silver bars'! You must be very careful, for as just like here, there are cabrones in Mexico that will kill you for far less than that. Speaking of treasures of Mexico, we went and saw Vicente Fernandez in concert last week. I like his movies. I am probably now the only guy in history that yelled out 'Free Bird' in English and Spanish at one of his shows. He actually did look my way.

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola RGINN mi compadre: I am fully aware that many would kill for that suppposed treasure, but I knew these gentlemen, Like most hill people, they are very gentle, generous, and law abiding. I would NEVER try that in the US. Not very complimentary is it?

I have another one that is still considered a classic by those that know it was an unintentional joke.

Don Jose de La Mancha

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ayyy, you must tell us.

Top Member Reactions