Haveing trouble storing it all!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
All things being equal, I would much prefer one and ten ounce bars/rounds instead of the 100 and 1000 ouncers.

Granted, the premiums for the bigger ones tend to be a bit lower than for the smaller ones (at least for the most part). But if silver really does go up like people think, I would much rather be able to sell smaller pieces in that you cannot feasibly saw a 100 or 1000 ounce bar into pieces if you only want to sell 30 or 50 ounces.

Also, I think if silver does go way up, new investors are gonna want the smaller bars and the premiums will be higher, just like they are now on fractional gold coins. I remember a few years ago when my coin dealer would sell a 1/4 ounce eagle for exactly 1/4 the price of a 1 ounce eagle. That is definitely not the case today.

Jim

OP
OP
goldsworthy

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
I dont know about the premium price rise if silver or gold rises in price. My experience has been the premium goes down not up when the price rises.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
goldsworthy said:
I dont know about the premium price rise if silver or gold rises in price. My experience has been the premium goes down not up when the price rises.

When you sell to the coin dealer I believe the premium will evaporate when you sell if silver goes way up. In fact, from what I have read and been told by coin dealers who were in the business back in 1980, when you sell you will not get anywhere near spot if silver is 40-50 per ounce (at least didn't back then).

But as a customer I believe that you will still be paying a premium when you buy from them depending on supply. If as gold and silver start climbing, the public really gets interested in buying silver and gold, I think that you will start to see more premiums.

The reason that premiums have recently been high when prices are low (10 bucks on dip a year ago or so), and low when prices are high (20 per ounce on silver in March 08), is because at these levels people were rushing to buy and sell, respectively.

Supply vs. demand.

Jim

OP
OP
goldsworthy

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
You can always get more than spot when selling to AMPEX! they always pay above spot for transactions over $1000.! I sell and buy from them all the time check em out! (this is NOT a advertisement just advice for selling and getting a fair deal) I have never sold to a local dealer in my area, the dealer here pays $100.00 under spot! for gold and $4.00 under spot for silver. Its funny how the local dealer here tries to tell you he always has to take a loss on gold and silver. I wonder what he would say if I offered him $100.00 under spot for gold and $4.00 under for silver? I bet he would tell me he doesn't have any to sell!

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Back in the Hunt brothers days when silver peaked,Instead of 35 dollars face, you would get 24 tops. Problem was the back up due to a lack of refiners to handle the volume. The 24 also included a cash mark down..So, if you sold it was an invisible transaction..I don't remember if there was a 30 percent capiatal gains tax on silver then.. Would be more money to take the mark down then get a check....Back in those days, nothing to pick a hundred dollars face off a football field with a detector. cordially Nadcarves :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
goldsworthy

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
nadcarves said:
Back in the Hunt brothers days when silver peaked,Instead of 35 dollars face, you would get 24 tops. Problem was the back up due to a lack of refiners to handle the volume. The 24 also included a cash mark down..So, if you sold it was an invisible transaction..I don't remember if there was a 30 percent capiatal gains tax on silver then.. Would be more money to take the mark down then get a check....Back in those days, nothing to pick a hundred dollars face off a football field with a detector. cordially Nadcarves :icon_thumright: Why would you have to refine silver eagles? I thought they are all ready refined into pure silver correct me if I am wrong?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What color paint you usin shure looks authetic. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread