Havin a hard time since Im new.

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Havin a hard time since I'm new.

Im looking for the best detector, by opinion, for around 600$-650$. Also with a screen that shows the most information about whats under the coil and reads good depth, about 2feet and prospects. Me and son love to pan but find nothing. Sorry all the knobs and dials is like another language to me. Also have an old whites coinmaster 5000/d series 2- should i just get batteries for that or has it been surpassed by walmart kids detectors by now???

Upvote 0

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250, $220, and it is an awesome machine. I am upgrading to the AT Pro, $600, so I can search in saltwater.....I did lots of research before I bought my ACE 250 and even more to find a saltwater unit within my budget.

HH and Good Luck....

Last edited:

laurenB

Aug 24, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
V3i, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty new too. That said .... don't get stuck watching the screen ... keep your eyes on the ground .. you can't always simply swing and find the spot again ... it's easy to get a bad habit and hard to get rid of it lol

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace 250 is a good starting metal detector. It’s easy to learn on.

But with all metal detectors, there is a learning curve. Only way to learn, is to use one for a couple of hundred hours. Yes, you will find stuff on the first hunt, but knowing how to find the target, and what the target might be and how deep it is will take practice.

With the $600 budget you stated, get the Ace 250 and a Pro Pointer ( both by Garrett) and still have money let over to buy diggers, pouches and other metal detecting toys.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250, $220, and it is an awesome machine. I am upgrading to the AT Pro, $600, so I can search in saltwater.....I did lots of research before I bought my ACE 250 and even more to find a saltwater unit within my budget.

HH and Good Luck....

The AT Pro is going to suck at saltwater beaches in the wet sand it being only a single freq unit. Beaches are different as to the amount of salt and black sand so you might be able to use it with lowered sens. But it will be fine in the dry sand, but not in the shallow water.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im looking for the best detector, by opinion, for around 600$-650$. Also with a screen that shows the most information about whats under the coil and reads good depth, about 2feet and prospects. Me and son love to pan but find nothing. Sorry all the knobs and dials is like another language to me. Also have an old whites coinmaster 5000/d series 2- should i just get batteries for that or has it been surpassed by walmart kids detectors by now???

Wow, wow, wow! Two feet on what?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is going to suck at saltwater beaches in the wet sand it being only a single freq unit. Beaches are different as to the amount of salt and black sand so you might be able to use it with lowered sens. But it will be fine in the dry sand, but not in the shallow water.

Yep. Never can convince em till they try it.

OP
OP
nnieto505

nnieto505

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for all the info. The 2 feet was some stats i saw on detectors but? ?? Id like to get one to stick with and not end up having to sell cause now i want the better detector. Got the diggers, pouches and most the goods so right around 600$ is all towards a detector.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yep. Never can convince em till they try it.

Good thing there WAY more land than JUST salt beaches! You two really can't help it can you? Someone mentions ATP, you HAVE to chime in with half truths based only on your opinion like it's the only one that counts. Pathetic!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but he specifically said he's upgrading to be able to search saltwater beaches. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I only wish I had known this before I spent $600 on one thinking its an awesome machine for saltwater. I know you can GB one down to make it work in salt but not ideal.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry but he specifically said he's upgrading to be able to search saltwater beaches. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I only wish I had known this before I spent $600 on one thinking its an awesome machine for saltwater. I know you can GB one down to make it work in salt but not ideal.

Like I said...half truths. PLENTY of poster here DO NOT have problems. So SOME do and some don't. Unless of course the ones that don't are liars! That MUST be the case because they are not using multi freqs and not taking daily doses of cool-aid!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nnieto505,
Your 5000D is a dickens of a good machine but it will not work well for prospecting. A prospecting machine must be able to handle the high mineralization that is found in areas where gold is. The area your are panning, is it known to have gold in it? If not then I'd stick with the panning to search for gold AS metal detecting for gold is not easy, it takes time and effort to really learn any detector and that especially includes a Gold detector.

I own a White's Coinmaster 6000D and together we have found copper, silver, gold, lead, brass, iron, aluminum as well as other metal objects. Of course all of these finds came in the city and were coins, jewelry, sprinkler heads, pull tabs, gum foil, nails, a .45 ACP fired slug, pocket knife and on and on. I tried prospecting with it One time and found square nails down in "my canyon", had a miserable time attempting but never getting a good ground balance due to the mineralization (mineral type iron in the soil, lots of it in gold country) and then of course there were the hot rocks (high mineralization as well as the cold rocks (a different type of sensitivity than the hot rocks) and both of those will drive a "coin machine" nuts.

For the 5000D you own make sure there are no batteries in it as if they leak they will ruin at least the battery holder and maybe part of the detector itself. The 5000D series 2 and the 6000D are similar and therefore the 5000D can be super tuned just like the 6000D. Once this tuning has been done you will know what metal type is under the coil before you dig, this is of course for city situations where ground mineralization is low and you have no overhead electric wires emitting signals that the detector will pick up. Even with the super tuning the 5000D will not work very well for prospecting as compared to modern day gold prospecting machines. If you want to know more about the super tuning let me know in a PM.

I have owned a Whites GMT since 2007 and it took till 2010 before I found gold with it. This time lapse was due to three main reasons: 1) lack of understanding on how to use the machine 2) very little time out in the field 3) putting the coil over gold with the right settings on the machine. Without having knowledge/improvements in these three items it is likely it would have been much longer before I found gold with my GMT, my fault not the machines.

Purchasing a Gold Detector. On the Tnet home page scroll way down and very close to the bottom of the page you will find a list of sponsors. When you've decided on which machine you want to purchase contact all the sponsors that carry the machine you want and check prices as well as what, if any, extras they add to the machine. A lesche digging tool with holder is useful. Now I've jumped way forward with this sponsor info but I wanted to make certain I did not forget to let you know about it. So lets back up.

If you are in gold country and you've used You Tube to learn about How to Pan and have watched a ton of videos for the major gold detectors and IF you've found gold while panning and you are still interested in getting a detector then you need to choose a detector. Good Luck doing this! It is frustrating Work to determine which one of the several Good machines (there are lesser machines that can find gold) to choose from that you want.
Why? Anyone who's never owned a gold machine has no clue as to how to determine which one is THE right one for them. Start by attending club meetings in your area and asking the members what they use. Each person that owns a different brand/model will tell you that theirs is the best! I am no different! Why? I've only used one machine!! Some folks own Several gold machines and find special uses for all of them. On Tnet is a Gentleman by the name of Steve Herschbach look for a thread under metal detecting, Which would you bring...AT Pro or CZ-3D, and you will find his name off to the right, the fourth one down, click on the thread, go to his post and at the bottom of his post will be a hot link for the detectors he owns with comments on all of them. If you can make a copy of his comments and read them over and over. AFTER you've read and pondered and looked at the manufacturers web site and down loaded their detectors manuals and read them and have asked the folks at the club near you and have reached the point of insanity in trying to decide what to buy And Why (as in is it the right detector for Your area), you can actually send a PM to Steve and I would think he will respond. Be sure you've done your part and have learned as much as you can about these machines so you have some knowledge to speak with him about otherwise you will waste his time and yours. That may sound harsh but you do not want to waste your money on a machine that will not work well in your area (if you have a heavy iron Cap in your area the VLF machines will be useless, you will learn this at a club meeting) so do your homework so you can make the best educated estimate, that's a guess, at what machine to purchase!

Me, I've owned White's machines and one Fisher the original Gold Bug (like the GB 1). I never found a single piece of gold with the Gold Bug "1" and still owned it when I purchased my GMT and it still took me three years of summers only to find gold.
185_8515.JPG This is a picture of "All" the gold I found in 2010 during four different trips into my river canyon. Its about 1/4 oz of some of the prettiest flat 'nuggets' I've ever found! Of course up till this time I'd only found flake gold while panning, no nuggets. Oh and even with a detector you will not get away from panning!!

Another thing you will need to learn is how to read a river when it is wet or dry. This you can find out on the internet, You Tube has some or just enter Reading a River for Gold (or something like that) and click on search. Inside bends, the tightest bed in a river, on the down river side of Obstructions to the water (big boulders on the shoulder where you can get at them or out in the river where you can't get at them), cliffs jutting out into the river, downed trees and other obstructions. Oh, just in case you were wondering this will be hard work! What else is on the down river side of and obstruction to the flow of the river, lots of smaller boulders, rocks, pebbles, gravel, dirt/sand and the like. The gold, if there is any, especially the larger stuff is usually under all the other stuff.

Okay, this should get you started. Check out Steve's comments on detectors he owns/uses. Learn about your area so you've a better idea what will work there, go to the club meetings. And when you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 machines you might write each detector note on its own sticky note, post all of them on a dart board and with your eyes closed throw a dart at the board and see if you hit a name and get that one. It is about that bad trying to decide what to get. Steve has been at this game for a very long time so he own's many detectors of both the VLF type as well as the PI type. All of these range in price from (suggested manufacturers price, all are discounted) $800 to $6500 and up, gag! And then there are accessory coils and tools and earphones and 'stuff'.

I use and have for many years a Gerber Gorge folding & collapsible shovel and I think it is great. A classifier for sorting the large racks from the dirt and gravel - my first was a Tuna Fish can I'd cut both ends out of and pop riveted in some 1/4" mesh hardware cloth into one end, it works great!

Oh, the gold I found in 2010 was on the backside of a large boulder (about 1.5 times the size of a VW Beetle). Also on the backside of that boulder was a good number of other smaller boulders of various sizes. I had the 4 x 6 elliptical coil on the GMT and even then I could not 'swing' it in all those boulders. I would move boulders with a Pry Bar (another tool), I have two: 18" Eastwing Gad Pry Bar or Geologists pry bar and a 5' long pry bar: then I would gather some sample material in a 5 gallon bucket with a handle. I had detected the "river bank" (a bunch of smaller rocks) and found a section that did not give the detector fits and would pour the bucket of sample on that spot, detect it and if the detector did not go zip zip(for the GMT) I did noting further with that sample. When the detector did signal that there was metal in the pile I panned and later sluice boxed (another tool) the classified sample and pulled the gold out of it. This all takes a lot of time and a lot of work. Part of it for me is the adventure, part of it is being in the outdoors as I love it and of course when gold is found there is the thrill of having succeeded in having some gold in my sample bottle. Ami I tired of it, NO! Am I willing to spend more of my summers searching, YES!

That is a great picture of your children and the time you spend with them is important bonding time as both of you get to know each other better and the memories all of them will have of being with you will last them forever, same with you of them. I have three, 2 girls and a boy. The girls came first and as each turned four years of age I took them backpacking with me, they were spellbound with the place and it was an instant change from being in the city and there were different rules and things to do than in the city. My son was 4 years and 1 day old on his first trip in with Dad and he stuck with me the longest in going backpacking with me. He now takes his own trips and his oldest sister is a "fisherwoman" to this day while the youngest daughter is getting back into shape to go on her own trips with her friends.

You've a lot of work to do young man and I hope this short book is of help to you. Get back in touch with me any time you have a question
I wish you Success on your Quest for the yellow metal...................................63bkpkr

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Garrett says," AT Pro International will ground balance to saltwater". Dealers have told me for salt water the Pro is the way to go.
For prospecting the AT Gold would be better, but is $675.
I've decided I'm getting an AT Gold just because for me personally I prefer it's features over the Pro.

Garrett Comparison Chart - AT Gold and AT Pro

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing there WAY more land than JUST salt beaches! You two really can't help it can you? Someone mentions ATP, you HAVE to chime in with half truths based only on your opinion like it's the only one that counts. Pathetic!

Haha..I noticed that too...Its odd thou...Because when i was in Fort Myers Beach, I never had any issues with it falsing or Anything..it acted the same way it does here in Texas....the only thing i noticed was the ground balance was different where as in texas its at a 70-80....and in Florida it was in the 20s.

But again..I NEVER had any problems with it at all...I didnt find anything worth a shiii...lol..But i was getting tons of pulltabs and sinkers...so I know it was working

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My At Pro has four frequencies and works fine in Southern CA, saltwater. In Huntington Beach, CA, I can scan in two feet of saltwater with the sensitivity cranked all the way up, no problem. In Long Beach, CA, that has a lot of black sand I need to use the forth frequency with the sensitivity knocked down 2 or 3 notches, I lose some depth, but it stays fairly quiet. That is what I have found anyway. Bill

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it funny that some folks on TNet say the AT Pro is no good in saltwater when they live no where near saltwater. I may be new to MD and TNet, but at least I know what features my machine has, what it can do, and in what environment. Maybe some on here have waaay to many machines and never have mastered any of them. Just Saying!

Last edited:

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it funny that some folks on TNet say the AT Pro is no good in saltwater when they live no where near saltwater. I may be new to MD and TNet, but at least I know what features my machine has, what it can do, and in what environment. Maybe some on here have waaay to many machines and never have mastered any of them. Just Saying!

Hey SoCal, I live in HB just about a mile from PCH on Beach and have been hitting the city beach a few times, are you in my neck of the woods? Are you ever looking for a hunting companion?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I hate those people that do that too.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The AT Pro is the best detector I've had for accurate ID at depth. After getting the manual ground balance correct, I got a loud beep showing dime at 8". It was 7", & it was a dime. Depth reading 0-2-4-6-8-10. In an air test, using sensitivity 9 out of 10, in Standard mode, coin program, it maxes out at 10" on a dime. No detector will go 2 feet on a coin-sized object. The AT Pro can detect salt water beaches, but sensitivity reduction might reduce depth slightly. It can go underwater to 10 feet. Waste deep water is where rings slip off fingers. It will detect gold as well, but for smaller gold a smaller coil would probably work better. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread