davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this machine is driving me nutzo. I've followed the instructions 110 times now, and can't get it to keep a steady threshold hum. There is supposed to be a signal balance knob on it to help, but if there is, I don't see it. The threshold goes loud as I move the coil the ground and changing the GEB doesn't do a thing.

I've also tried to detect with the settings at "preset" but I get no beep while going over known metal. Any ideas?

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing to try is a different coil. If you still get no target response on presets then it's likely the circuitry is out-of-whack, and a trip to the factory is in order.

- Carl

P.S. -- make sure you are testing well-away from a house and any buried cables.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
You likely have a faulty ground balance pot(entiometer).

Turn the GEB dial all the way to the left. If that changes things in any way, the pot is working (sort of). Then turn the dial all the way the other direction. If it acts even differently, you likely have a;

A: Faulty ground balance (GEB) potentiometer

or

B: Dust and dirt in the (GEB) potentiometer.

You can clean the thing with AIR SPRAY bought at Radio Shack. DO NOT USE THE stuff with oil in it! It will be total H - - L to clean out. It could stop it from working entirely!

If cleaning it doesn't help, you will need to order a pot of the same value (IF) your multimeter says it's readings don't match the required ohms range written on the pot). ANY TV repair place can do this job. It's way too simple. Many of those pots are 50-1000 ohms, but they can be from 5-50,000 ohms too. Get one EXACTLY like the one inside the box. Replace it. It likely has two or three leads to it. It is critical that you get a 3-lead or 2 lead or 4-lead to replace it EXACTLY. The brand name doesn't matter, the resistence does. It's easy to do. Just be careful to not overheat the surrounding board and/or circuitry, and don't make great big globs of solder on the connections.

Also check to see if there is any change in the threshold hum if you wiggle the coil cable AT the coil, and the coil connection at the BOX. If so, that could be the problem too.

Good luck and HH

EasyMoney

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy, you know your stuff............................BUT check the connector first, and then make sure you got your game on right..............I had one, and on the presets it worked really well....I found tons of goodies........The coil connectors on them oldies get dirty, the coils themselves hardly ever screw up, unless they are smacked around.........You have a good detector......................................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread