Having No Luck

annie11

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2007
Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Loaner for now. Ace 250 Soon!
I am new to this and I am not having any luck. I am waiting on my Ace 250 but for the time being I am using a friends Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver a poor detector compared to Acer 250?
2. Should you always set the depth finder at the deepest setting to really locate items of real interest?
3. OK - I am almost embarrassed to ask - the detector head has a large circle and a smaller inner circle - which one is the one that picks up the object??
4. With my ace 250 - should I purchase the additional head?

I went to a ball field, playground and old abandoned grammar school and a park. To date - I have found:

Pull tabs
50 cents (nothing old
2 old screws
1 dime
beer can
1 metal punch out (fuse box?)

I am about 1 hour from a beach here in CT - so I am looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

Can anyone offer some advice on technique and/or spots to hunt?

I love checking out your finds - I would be happy to find anything - even a coin that is pre 1980 :D

Thanks!

Annie

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Dont get to worried about it! You are not doing anything wrong. I have about $1800 invested in my detector and I dug one nickel from 1989 today LOL. Of course, I searching for deep masked targets in a hunted out park...I dug like 10 really deep nails. Some days are good, some are bad. Just enjoy the time you are out there!

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
The Ace 250 is a fine beginner detector. It would be hard to do better at the price they sell it for.

I am not a Bounty Hunter fan. But there are others here that have done quite well with them.

I imagine you will do quite well with the Ace. I have heard wonderful things about the Ace 250.

When I started detecting well over 25 years ago it took me four months to find my first coin. So I think you are off to a fine start.

Ask any questions here and enjoy your Ace. Post some finds if you get the chance.

Strike it rich!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bounty hunter has sort of been considered the low level of detector brands. Not sure of the merits of the particular one you have, but as long as it's current, it should be able to get coins to 6" anyhow. With today's electronics prices coming down down down, and getting better and smaller each year, it is amazing that today's cheapie radio-shack machines, are as good or better than the top machines of 20 or 30 yrs. ago. Check air test depths, and you should be able replicate those depths out in the field.

No, you don't need to max the sens. to achieve the deepest depths. This is a common misconception that newbies always do: crank the power to the max "lest they be missing out". That's sort of like driving with your high beams on in the fog: You would think that your high beams would see further out ahead, since they are brighter/stronger, right? But in fact, in fog, your low beams see further, because the lesser strength beams are not bouncing off the fog beadlets, right? It's the same for the ground. There is a diminishing point of returns where.... you can not just pump of the power endlessly, before you start getting eratic behavior, false signals, loss of depth, etc.... Sometimes half power will give you more depth, ironically. You have to know how to tell when you've hit that point in your type ground. That's another thread :)

Better finds may not be forthcoming with your Ace 250. You may just need to find better hunting grounds as well, or learn the machines better, etc.... If you have a club in your area, look to see who's coming in with the oldies (not just occasional sandbox hunters) and see if they'll let you tag along to hear what the oldies/deepies sound like.

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I own a ''Bounty Hunter'' 505 pioneer ..cost was around $280.00...Yea i wish i had a whites, but hey it does the job! Found a late 1800s indian head cent , 1944 dime , wheeties < a bunch , civil war bullet ,bowmen fuse for cannon ball<<civil war ,old pocket watch...bunch of new change..lotta other stuff...Dont let the name full ya!!!! I learned my machine well ..only thing i dislike is the depth reading is never right..seems like it anyways.. One thing is never give up no matter what!!Its there you just gotta find it!!Talk to the old timers ..they know it all it seems like..''Find out were people gatherd!!''the place you hunt,, stop look around!! pretend thats your place,were would you go on a hot day under that old oak tree, mabe.were they parked / were they had cloths line/kids played/garden..and the list goes on..Let us know about your finds ..good luck

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I have a pioneer EX and added the 8" coil so it is basically the same machine as the QS.
You are doing OK. Just be persistant. Good Luck with the ACE , I went to the BH Lone star because the Bounty Hunter coils are interchangeable and the price es are lower. Still learning the machine.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If you are going to the beach, it is real easy to dig. Take along some "stuff" you would like to find. Some regular clad and silver coins if you have them, a gold ring if you have one, a silver trinket of some sort. Just a collection of things. Find a place in the dry sand where you get no signal. Maybe a yard or two square. Plant the items with little identifiers of what they are and how deep. Play around with them. Listen to the sounds. Plant them deeper, shallower. Just spend an hour or two messing around. Make sure you include some junque as well. Rusty stuff, bottle caps, etc. You should get a real good feel for the differences. Do this and hit the beach. Try to ID what something is before you dig. See how much you improve.

Hey it's the beach. Have fun.

Daryl

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go to the beach, with both machines you may find yourself getting alot of erratic beeping and/or false signaling in the wet sand.You can try to mask it out by reducing the sensitivity but unless your real familar with your machine,it will drive you nuts and you will lose some depth.The two machines you mentioned will do okay in the dry sand, but they are iffy at best in the wet sand.This comes from personal experience at the beach with the B.H. and from reading many, many owner reviews about the ACE 250. So far you sound like your doing alright.The more you use them the more "familiar" you will become with each.Good luck.

OP
OP
annie11

annie11

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2007
Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
WOW - Thanks for the great advice - everyone!

I am looking forward to getting my Ace - maybe by Monday. Still have some problems pinpointing where in the "circle" the target is but with some practice - I should get it.

Has anyone just gone into the woods and found anything of interest? I was thinking of checking out the woods by our resevoir that has some walking paths.

Can anyone tell me what they take along to dig with when you are digging in dirt?

Thanks

Annie

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Hi Annie,

Just wondering in the woods, the only find you may get is finding you are lost. It would be unusual to just walk in the woods and find stuff. You say there are paths. Stick to the paths and look both on the path and on either side. A better place would be where the path starts and people have to get ready to "hike" the path, where the path ends and people may congregate for a campfire, party, etc. Where people walk there may be things but there will be more things where they congregate.

As far as the woods, try to explore the woods and not use your detector at first. Try to find evidence of where something used to be. Maybe a depression in the land. Maybe some old trash - cans, bottles, junk. Maybe you might find old stones lying around that might indicate an old building. Maybe you will find a spring. Folks used to walk quite a ways to get spring water and there may be things left behind.

So use your eyes. Look for things that look like people were there. Concentrate on where you know people congregate now.

As far as digging goes, it different in the woods. There will be roots and stuff. Get yourself a good digger that has serrated sides to cut and also something to handle the roots. Go to a good hardware store and tell them what you will be doing - digging in the woods. They will tell you what will work and you can see if it fits your frame. Get fewer better implements. Not more. They get heavy after a mile or two. And don't forget a good pair or gloves. Not the flowerbed type. You need work gloves to dig in the woods.

Have fun. Explore and enjoy just being there. And stay safe.

Daryl

CodyCat Borat

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra-50, Whites classic 2
I have been MD for over 20 years now and I live very close to the beach and I MD there almost every evening. I am using a different brand of MD, but I do very well at the beach. First thing to do is set the ground balance. If your machine has no GB controls (or is set from the factory)then you must lower the sensitivity to midway between the highest and the lowest.At low sensitivity you will find more good targets but you will also miss a lot of the deeper targets. Still at the beach most of the targets are within 1-3 inches, so it should work. The Beach's on LI, just south of you should probably read about the same. If your MD has preset configuration, just dig the targets that have a crisp signal. The chattered ones or the ones with different tones usually are nothing more than junk targets.(foil, pull tabs, bottlecaps.)
Last night I was out at Fire Island for about an hour and brought in $3.57 and 2 earing's. One of the earing's had a small diamond set in it. Dig everything at the beach for you have to go through the trash to get the jackpots.
Anyway hope this helps.
Happy Hunting...
CC

OP
OP
annie11

annie11

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2007
Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I will check out the hardware store - I was digging tonight and hit those roots and I could not get past them - I could not break them. It turned out to be an old door hinge :-\

I did find another can and a chunk of metal..hmmmm.

I am going to the beach this weekend and plan on going nice and early to beat the beach crowd. I am hoping to find something moderately interesting to post a picture of.

Thanks for the woods advice - I think I may have better luck at more active spots.

Keep you posted

Thanks

Annie

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Hey Girl show us a picture of that hinge, how old is it? That will tell you what the age is of what may be there. It's allot of learning the machine, but more of what you want to hunt, pull tabs and clad with a good chance of jewelery, or nails and rust with a chnace for relics? It's an awesme hobby, you'll enjoy the ACE, really. Show us some pictures! Have fun!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I use a gator digger, with the serrated edges, but a tool I carry with me is a simple "ginsu" style steak knife. It goes through roots like butter and the edge last a long time. The gator digger is made of a thicker steel and is good for rugged work. The ginsu knife is real thin and cuts a clean hole on nice lawns, just can't pry with it.

You are in a great area of the country for older goodies, so just be patient and work slowly.

In my first 3 years, I could hold all my finds in both hands. As I learned more and upgraded units, I steadily increased my finds. So will you! Just ask yourself...........Is this fun or what???????

Good luck!.................&................HH

B

BIG61AL

Starter stuff for beginners

1 - any whites, Garrett or minelab detectors stay away from bounty hunter

2 - heavy duty digger

3 - any detector brand pouch will do fine, a nail pouch will work OK but you'll only wind up upgrading later anyway

4 - sand sifter - even if you don't live near a beach you may visit one later or find a swimming hole or lake

5 - pin pointer - don't leave home with out it ever. This will save so much time.

6 - head phones - the best you can afford and upgrade until you have a really good pair. Mine cost $300 and are worth every penny

7 knee pads - first time you kneel on wet grass with pants you'll want them. twenty to thirty bucks should get you a pair that will last years

8 bug spray - I always have this - always

Later on you can get the things you'll find you need like nice gloves for cold days, knee high rubber boot for the wet seasons, rechargerable batteries, alturnate coils to use,

OP
OP
annie11

annie11

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2007
Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
That's quite a starter list - makes good sense. I have to say - I am still using my basic flower digging tools. I am actually hoping to pick up a sifter before I head to the beach. I ran into some roots and I had nothing to cut them with - my Jeep keys just didn't do it.

Country Girl - I have tossed alot of my "junk" finds which I am beginning to learn I should keep. I think I may have that hinge and a few other "treasures." I will post my findings on Sunday night - you must promise not to laugh :D

annie

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Hey Big62al,
Why stay away from Bounty Hunter?
Just curious..

Sean

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Hi Annie,

Here are a days worth of digging for me. Laugh all you want.

Daryl

Attachments

• Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 156

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. Daryl now show her what you find if you persistent!!
Ray

Homesteader

Apr 18, 2003
Silver City, NM USA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rule 1.

Research, think and use your intuition - Where do people go and lose things.

Rule 2.

Practice and get to know your detector

Rule 3.

Take the right equipment - digging tools, pinpointers, coil heads, water, pouches, etc

Rule 4.

Dig all signals

Rule 5.

Have fun - Unless you are planning on making a living at this (some people do), it is considered a hobby.

Meet people, delve into the history of a certain area, become an expert in one particular aspect of hunting (coinshooting, nuggetfinding, beach hunting, etc) and enjoy the thrill you will get when you do find something (you will eventually if you keep at it and keep learning, and most likely when you least expect it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread