having trouble getting coins

deadringer

Jan 20, 2004
Lindenhurst, NY
went to a few banks here on long island.. there are ALOT of banks around her- out of the six that i went to none of them would sell me any coins, not even pennies unless i opened an acct. Bank of america, where i have an acct, had some halves that someone returned to them, but i just missed them and i probably didnt want them anyway. BoA said they can order coins for me on friday but i was hoping some other banks would sell some to me, they look at me like im crazy when i say i dont have an acct with them. God forbid i want to get money from a bank.. is it just around here or is this going on elsewhere? or should i just open multiple accts?

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I have the same problem. I like to hit dozens of banks a day, but it's really discouraging when every other bank refuses service since I don't have an account with them. Sometimes I make up stories, or bend the truth a little, "No, but my dad has an account with you, and a bunch of cds, and these coins are for him. Honest, mister!" or "Listen, man! Collecting coins keeps me off the streets! If you don't gimme them halves I'll just end up...(make up something horrible.)" or just start crying like a baby or whatever. hahaha. The fact of the matter is that one shouldn't have to go to these lengths just to buy some fifty cent pieces! I just started roll hunting and really don't want to open up tons of accounts, but if that's what it takes, I might. we'll see. What I've noticed is inconsistency. Some branches are great. Others are just terrible.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I used to get coins when I was a kid (15 years ago) never had that problem. 1 because I coudn't get that much cause I had no money. 2 because who is going to refuse a cute little kid. But recently I have been doing it again. And yes most banks dont have them or at least thats what they tell me. But 2 diffrent banks did want me to have an account with them but said I can get as many as I want! So what more do you need right? I got diffrent branches getting me orders diffrent times of the week. And sometimes having an account with them isn't enough. My bank that I have done buissness with for years said they arent allowed more then $500 in halfs every few weeks. She seemed more then willing to do it for me but when I went back in thats what she told me. So I dont know if thats a line of BS or what.... but I guess its good to know I have a good drop off bank. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread