Hawk Pipe .... mid-ohio valley .... real or fake .... Help Please

DiVisiBle

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm Richard Anderson from Huntington West Virginia. I'm a professional firefighter by trade but my day off job is conducting estate sales in and around the kentucky, ohio, and west virginia tri-state area. I ran across this piece yesterday while setting up an old house in Ironton Ohio for an estate sale. It was under a bed in a display case, the kind you buy at a flea market, and had quite a few years of dust and dirt over it's cracked glass display. I inquired with the home owner as to the origin of the piece and she stated that her sister, which passed away in the 1980's, had bought it for a large sum of money. She said that her sister went to have it authenticated but all the expert could tell her was that he thought it to be fake. It was slid under the bed and forgotten until I retrieved it yesterday. I have searched for anything that might resemble it on the net but could not find any pipes to compare it with. If anyone has any info they could provide about the pipe, i would greatly appreciate your input. thanks in advance, richard anderson

IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2555.JPG IMG_2556.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DiVisiBle

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing...it's a little longer and just about as wide as a dollar bill.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like it was made out of clay and dried, then they made an attempt to fake some patina to it. Does the draw chamber even go into the bowl?
My daughter made something similar in art class and brought it home today. View attachment 635908 View attachment 635914

Prehistorics used pipestone, catlinite, or even steatite for material to make a pipe the clay pipes that were made by prehistoric peoples didn't quite look like that as you may know by searching for something similar to match that to.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is a reproduction and a very poorly made one at that. There are Great Pipes that were made by the Hopewell, but they are all very well crafted and made from very nice materials. That piece almost looks like it made from plaster and then painted a dark color. I'd say someone duped her out of a lot of money on that piece.

OP
OP
D

DiVisiBle

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I will smash the piece so it won't get passed off again. richard anderson

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Don't smash it! Someone put a lot of time and work into that piece. Mark it as a reproduction and let someone display it as what it is...art.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't smash it! Someone put a lot of time and work into that piece. Mark it as a reproduction and let someone display it as what it is...art.

I concur.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The Grim Reaper said:
My first thought is a reproduction and a very poorly made one at that. There are Great Pipes that were made by the Hopewell, but they are all very well crafted and made from very nice materials. That piece almost looks like it made from plaster and then painted a dark color. I'd say someone duped her out of a lot of money on that piece.

Is their any way it could be a trade pipe?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread