May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it wasn't for the sunny week & the hay cut we would be out of options. After finishing Horse paddocks, cow fields etc we were right out of land. We now have a few fields to do until harvest ;D

This small strip of land was once ploughed over 50 years ago, used to have horses in & is now under offer for houses. So the rush is on to bet the housing development.

Only spent 2.5 hours (5 man hours) but had a few finds:

2 Scrappy roman coins
1669 halfpenny token
Silver 1922 Shilling
Georgian shoe buckle

Aussie Aluminium medillion with crude incised name etc.. probably WWI era;

?S Dunston
23rd Bin(c?)
?? ? ?? ??

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 681
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 680
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 669
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 674
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was cleaning my 17th century token with Renaissance Wax (Museum quality) I was suprised to see a windmill. Most 17th century tokens are never IDed due to the poor shape they come out the ground.

It was produced by John Johnson in Donnington, Cambridgeshire in 1669 to give change when people used his Windmill to grind corn etc.. It was illegal to produce these tokens however the Government at that time turned a blind eye for 50 years as they had no way of plugging the small change gap.

This was priced up at £45 but try & find one on the internet for sale & your be disappointed!

Just spoken to my Token Guru who collects Cambridgeshire tokens. He said he has 1 in his collection & only seen 3 others sold!!!

;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 605
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 595

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
scrappy roman?? my heart bleeds for you ;D
nice!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great that you found out the ID of the token, Congrats on a very nice find...... Want to add, another example of a piece of history being found and saved by a detectorist!!! :thumbsup:

Don

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
That is great that you found out the ID of the token, Congrats on a very nice find...... Want to add, another example of a piece of history being found and saved by a detectorist!!! :thumbsup:

Don

Exactly, I'm recording these for future study. I have already helped prove the old British Museum books wrong on one of these!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Those are some great finds! That sure is an interesting story about that token. There's always so much more history to uncover when you find something like that.
Way to go !!
Mike

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Aussie Eh? - Tis my duty to tell you about him then:

It is the tag of Acting Corporal Thomas Stephens Dunstan of the 23rd Battalion Australian Imperial Forces (AIF). He volunteered and joined the Army in Ballarat Victoria Jan 1916. He fought in France and was evacuated to England with Trench Foot in Jan 1917. Upon return to France he was shot in the left elbow and again evacuated to England in May 1917. He was treated at Tooting Military Hospital before being sent home to Australia at the beginning of 1918. He was medically discharged from the AIF in Feb 1918

On his service record is a wonderfully patriotic hand written letter from his parents. It reads:

"We give our consent for our love Thomas Stephens Dunstan to go to fight for his King and Country"

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry_Morant said:

It is the tag of Acting Corporal Thomas Stephens Dunstan of the 23rd Battalion Australian Imperial Forces (AIF). He volunteered and joined the Army in Ballarat Victoria Jan 1916. He fought in France and was evacuated to England with Trench Foot in Jan 1917. Upon return to France he was shot in the left elbow and again evacuated to England in May 1917. He was treated at Footing Military Hospital before being sent home to Australia at the beginning of 1918. He was medically discharged from the AIF in Feb 1918

On his service record is a wonderfully patriotic hand written letter from his parents. It reads:

"We give our consent for our love Thomas Stephens Dunstan to go to fight for his King and Country"

Wow, Thanks (sent you a PM).

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, museum quality finds, thanks for the close ups! Congratulations on a tremendous hunt.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
My buddy collects the old Roman coins...How the heck can you possibly clean those things. He needs help with the ones he has. I tried a hot peroxide bath about 25 times on several coins. But it only works slightly...Let me know please..Thanks jgas

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER, congrats on token. . . a wonderful find! Just as wonderful is the "tag" and the associated history :)

CRUSADER said:
Harry_Morant said:

It is the tag of Acting Corporal Thomas Stephens Dunstan of the 23rd Battalion Australian Imperial Forces (AIF). He volunteered and joined the Army in Ballarat Victoria Jan 1916. He fought in France and was evacuated to England with Trench Foot in Jan 1917. Upon return to France he was shot in the left elbow and again evacuated to England in May 1917. He was treated at Footing Military Hospital before being sent home to Australia at the beginning of 1918. He was medically discharged from the AIF in Feb 1918

Wow, Thanks (sent you a PM).

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
My buddy collects the old Roman coins...How the heck can you possibly clean those things. He needs help with the ones he has. I tried a hot peroxide bath about 25 times on several coins. But it only works slightly...Let me know please..Thanks jgas

I only use water & then a bit of renaissance wax for the good ones. If you mean the crusted ones then you could try eletrolysis for short periods (this can be harsh!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread