HB2078 in Appropriations; Send EMAIL TODAY; all below

C

cachenut

HB2078 is in appropriations committee now. These are the people who decide on money issues (I think). How much they need, where it is coming from, do we have enough.

Here is the text I sent to them. Please do the same but write your own message. Perhaps, waste of money, too many other important issues, expensive position, not needed, etc .
=======================================================
Dear Sir or Madam Delegate:

Please vote against bill HB2078. It is a bad bill for both relic hunters and archaeologists. This bill and the attached archaeologist position has done more harm to our combined interests than any one person could ever do.

Even if everything is removed except the archaeologist?s position the original intent and goal of the bill is still there. The archaeologists would still have the same duties as before. It is just unwritten.

The goal of this bill is to restrict and limit relic hunting and artifact collecting in all its forms. It is not a bill supporting archaeology or property rights. It does in fact make relic hunting as it is practiced now illegal. A misdemeanor. I know of no one in my 20 plus years metal detecting who gets written permission.

In a meeting of COVA they discussed their plans for stopping what they call looting and group looting of archaeological sites. They put the meeting minutes on their website and directly mention this bill's intent and speaking to Delegate Van Landingham to sponsor this bill. It is a bill designed to stop what they call looting and group looting and what I call relic hunting. As they planned it this would be a state archaeologist in their pocket.

This is why I call it a bad bill. I do not want the state of Virginia to pay for an archaeologist who does not do archaeology but whose goal is to eliminate hobby metal detecting. Please do not fund this bill and vote against it when it comes for a vote.

Thank You,
Joe Wolfe
Winchester, Virginia

====================================================

Here are the emails for all the delegates on the appropriations committee. The were scheduled to meet at 7:30am Thursday morning but it might take a while. Longer if they need to discuss it.

Please mention we cannot tell what is in the bill now.
Please mention we cannot tell what is in the bill now.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Please take a moment to write in your support for our hobby and opposition to this bill if you have not done so already. Be decent and appropriate in your language,we do not want to sink to the level of politicians ourselves....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT THEY SAID. It ain't over. 6 months down the line this could come back to haunt us

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread