Head Phones

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Filtering out ambient noise. Adjustment levels. Durability. Quality.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Audio tone also is improved on the higher priced ones, plus with many brands you usually get a lifetime warranty (to the original owner).

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever compared a $20 am/fm radio to a Bose sound system playing digitally recorded music? Good headphones on a decent machine with threshold, can be just as drastic a difference.

I have a set of Bushmasters that sound great to me and they stay put on your head when retrieving targets or busting through the "Bush". I like the Koss UR-30 sound except they slide off your head too easily.

Last edited:

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get very good closed ear headphones at a music store like Guitar Center on sale for about $30 that would be as good as $100 headphones at a different kind of store (Best Buy). 40mm drivers are a good indicator of a decent set. I use DJ headphones but that's only because I don't like them very much in other applications and they have large pads to stay comfortable for long periods of time. Also, I can kind of hear around them, so I'm not totally sealed off from my environment.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You can get very good closed ear headphones at a music store like Guitar Center on sale for about $30 that would be as good as $100 headphones at a different kind of store (Best Buy). 40mm drivers are a good indicator of a decent set. I use DJ headphones but that's only because I don't like them very much in other applications and they have large pads to stay comfortable for long periods of time. Also, I can kind of hear around them, so I'm not totally sealed off from my environment.

Checked out guitar center on line. Nice assortment of headphones. What does 44mm driver refers to? Looked at one for $30.00 with 54mm. Better or worse?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of the driver is the width of the speaker inside the ear cups..

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good explanation, yep either would be fine for your uses, shopping with budget in that area is just fine IMO!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine had to be at lest 65 omh(?)

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I use Detector Pro Black Widow Headphones on the beach or in high noise areas.
I use the Minelab Sovereign GT without the digital readout so I need to hear the variance
of the tones.
In remote areas without high noise, many times I will use a single ear piece or a light weight set.

...and you do get what you pay for!
[h=1][/h]

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The difference between sounds of certain objects can be very subtle, and high quality headphones will make those differences more apparent, so this helps in being more efficient. When I invested in good headphones, I bought waterproof ones and for that kind of use/abuse you definitely need good ones unless you want to be replacing them soon.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap headphones will usually need to be replaced because they break, stop working, or are just too uncomfortable... Replacing with another cheap set will usually have the same result... Replacing with sturdy quality metal detecting headphones will break the cycle, with the added: "voila, they sound so much better!"

Peanut2673

May 23, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di/S2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Head phone use with detectors

Hello all. I am very new to this forum and metal detecting in general. I have a very old Whites coinmaster 6000/Di S2 that I purchased for $35 at a local flea market. It seems to work well (at least I hope it is working well). My question is also about head phones - does it matter what make you purchase or do you have to get head phones specific to your model detector, such as my White detector? I apologize if this is a silly question. I do appreciate all the info that everyone leaves regarding other things. I am learning A LOT by reading. Thank you in advance for the answer(s) to this question.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peanut, Your Whites 6000 uses mono headphones, I used one for many years as its a good machine. Use of stereo headphones will only sound off in one ear. Whites may still stock mono headphones for your machine.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes sense to have phones that match the output impedance of a detector so the audio amplifier is operating in the sweet spot. High impedance phones for your stereo are designed to work with higher output amplifiers... Maxing out your detectors audio amp using them, causes clipping and poor audio results...

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so Hot Zone...what kind of head phones are good to use with a metal detector....x-terra

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector pro or other 150 ohm impedance phones should do the trick!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread