Head to Head Battle..Fisher CZ6 Vs Garrett AT Pro...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hate Garrett, just the ATP. I bought one, Garrett bought it back and sent me a new one. I thought it would be fine being dumbed down some where I could run it 3 bars below max without all the chattering while holding it still. But that wasn't to be so I retired it. Then a friend bought me a brand new production unit. It worked as advertised but still couldn't use it at a saltwater beach. Okay, I can stay out of the wet sand. Tried to hunt a freshwater lake and water got behind the faceplate, and BONG sounds stopped. Dried it out but won't waste my time with it again.:BangHead:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The deepest all-metal mode I ever encountered was with my old Garrett Master Hunter (big box), it was an absolute BEAST in the worst soils I could find, except for one area on a salt beach where no detector at all would work, not even a PI. I own and use a Sea Hunter MK II. But the best multi-purpose one I've ever had in my hands is my current old Compass GoldScanner Pro, it has better discrimination against iron than anything new (or) old. It works everywhere very well, save for that one beach where the round, black, obsidian-like rocks are all over the entire beach, where no detector works. It goes deeper than this one in the video too. Here is a video of a Compass Relic Magnum, its 12 coil is not any deeper than the standard 8" coil, but it does wide scan. Compass invented the DD search coil, way back in the late 70's. This detector in the video was made for mining. I own one of them, and three other Compass detectors too. This and other Compass detectors would go deeper as the passes sped up, that is, to a certain point of maximum output. Physics plays an important role in how much power we can employ before we reach the point of diminishing returns.

Here is a massive wealth of depth information about depth capabilities. Some of it is new or newer, but it covers a whole lot of turf. http://wwwdark.w.interia.pl/testy.htm

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes gleaner1 I am an electronics engineer, are you one too? And yes, I helped to improve (your) metal detectors and (their) technology. And yes too , I worked for a subsidiary of Whites, we made and improved their circuit boards. Read my bio. Thanks :icon_thumleft:

The phase-shift technology that runs the ATP, the Whites 5,000 and 6,000 series, and the Aces came from George Payne, in the early 80's, it was first employed in the Red Baron, by George in Lebanon, Oregon just 13 miles from my home. it is basically old technology.

BTW, after almost 5,000 posts here, why don't I see any friends listed on your bio? Pleasant people usually make friends very easily, right? Don't you have at least (1) friend here..?

I did not ask you if you were an electronics engineer. :icon_scratch:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry.....why do u keep posting videos of these old machines? I know they made deep machines 20 years ago. But the disc sucked on them....you had to dig everything. If i want that...i will use a pi machine and get deeper than any vlf! If the old analog machine's were so good i wouldnt have ever found anything. Every spot i hunt has been pounded by the old timers with their old analog machines. But guess what....if its trashy, the ol ATpro with the 5x8 finds the goodies they missed. Everytime i find a few things! You can post videos and write large paragraphs on here till you die, but you will never change my mind that this little machine Garrett is making is the best you can buy for $600. That has been proved to me a hundred times through personal experience. My lowly ATpro has held its own with CZ's, F75's, T2's, Etracs.....etc....etc....If the Garrett is old technology and outdated....why cant anyone else waterproof their machines???? It cant be that hard.....and you are using mainly analog machines and saying the ATP is old technology.......really? It has a faster recovery speed than 80% of the machines made!

Last edited:

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Larry.....why do u keep posting videos of these old machines? I know they made deep machines 20 years ago. But the disc sucked on them....you had to dig everything. If i want that...i will use a pi machine and get deeper than any vlf! If the old analog machine's were so good i wouldnt have ever found anything. Every spot i hunt has been pounded by the old timers with their old analog machines. But guess what....if its trashy, the ol ATpro with the 5x8 finds the goodies they missed. Everytime i find a few things! You can post videos and write large paragraphs on here till you die, but you will never change my mind that this little machine Garrett is making is the best you can buy for $600. That has been proved to me a hundred times through personal experience. My lowly ATpro has held its own with CZ's, F75's, T2's, Etracs.....etc....etc....If the Garrett is old technology and outdated....why cant anyone else waterproof their machines???? It cant be that hard.....and you are using mainly analog machines and saying the ATP is old technology.......really? It has a faster recovery speed than 80% of the machines made!

timthumb.jpeg

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunnell/Digger, sometimes I've had to walk over with my old Compass to help another detectorist using a a V3i or new F series Fisher, the Compass's discrimination is often far superior to the newer Minelab, Garrett, and sometimes Whites or Fisher on the west coast. Tesoros actually do quite well here though, because they use an entirely different (tank) circuit.

The ATP and Aces use very similar circuitry to each other so the bad ground makes them nearly useless in some areas around here and in California, and especially in the western part of Washington State. They have a tremendous problem discriminating with all the massive amounts of magnetite in this ground. This is why I got rid of my Sovereign and kept the CZ, the CZ works very well here. It is easier to find free beer in a food stamp line than it is to find Garrett and Minelabs in this part of the country, and it's because they don't handle this bad ground very well. I've seen two Minelabs on a pawn shop wall, and one Garret hanging on the wall of a detector sales shop near here, except for my own Garrett. (I) have a Garrett SH II, but other than that, I have only seen Whites used on our salt beaches on the coast.

Who's post is this? Gleaner is this yours? And does it say "are you an electronics engineer?" I think it's yours..

"Absolutely not, it is absurd to even imagine why Garrett engineered atpro. How do you know why anybody is getting rid of there metal detector? How do you know what technology is being used, are you an electronics engineer? All vlf metal detectors run similar to all others. I gotcher bong."

I write scrolls because I speak 4 languages, it goes with the turf, it becomes SOP because of dialects that often require wordy interpretations. I used to be an interpreter in the US Army, so I'm blueprinted now.

You all have a pleasant day, I will too.. :icon_thumright: 644251_585466298179544_725394309_n.jpg Ore.jpg Here is A sample of our soil here. The first one is nearby, in gold nugget country. Yep, that red is magnetite, and it's even worse in some places. We have a lot of hematite here too, it's the brownish color between the red on the bank there in the first photo.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh! I forgot to say this. I probably use my CZ the most. It is far from being analog, the whole thing is computerized save for dial ground balance. Secondly I use the cheap Chinese made one, and it is computerized too. The Compasses are analog, but they are also the best discriminators, bar none. And they are the best tiny gold nugget hunters here too, even better than a G2 or GBII, and most certainly better than an MXT or GMT for nuggets.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very beautiful country! Is that Oregon?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is really great country here. Here is a hill I climbed one day. Oregon is very diversified, and has this type of country all over the western half, but almost 1/3 of Oregon is high desert, 1/3 is deep forest, and 1/3 is flat farming country, and the far western side is almost like an overgrown jungle . It's about 1/3 mile up to the top of this hill, and I made it in 40 minutes with a 9 lb gun and a 40 lb pack. I passed on the road, too boring for this old man. Up the Hill..jpg farmland Mack.jpg 1557441_712223208837185_2138258767_n.jpg Mt_Bachelor_Photo_by_Bob_Woodward-courtesy-of-visit-Bend-horiz.jpg p6243176.jpg willamettevalley22jpg-b4e2526720d529a8.jpg

Attachments

• farmland_06.jpg
    farmland_06.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just had to put my two cents in....First off as I always state I am not a brands guy...I dont want a detector with a specific name on it...I want a detector that works for ME!!... now,about those 250.00 at pros....Just so happens that all the at pros and at golds that have been listed on ebay the past several months I have put and keep in my ebay watch list,following all closely,and let me tell you...as far as ebay is concerned there is no such thing as a 250.00 at pro...all the at pros on ebay have been selling in the high 4 hundreds or higher...in fact i think the ats or probably more consistantly selling closer to there retail price than most of the other detectors on ebay

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS....I should have added that i have also been watching teknetics,fishers and minelabs on ebay....I bought a f5 ,a f70 and an xterra 505 all for very good prices...well below retail....Im looking to get as good a deal on an AT gold...but it aint happening...lol...gonna get the gold from a dealer,new

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
just had to put my two cents in....First off as I always state I am not a brands guy...I dont want a detector with a specific name on it...I want a detector that works for ME!!... now,about those 250.00 at pros....Just so happens that all the at pros and at golds that have been listed on ebay the past several months I have put and keep in my ebay watch list,following all closely,and let me tell you...as far as ebay is concerned there is no such thing as a 250.00 at pro...all the at pros on ebay have been selling in the high 4 hundreds or higher...in fact i think the ats or probably more consistantly selling closer to there retail price than most of the other detectors on ebay

disney-graphics-pinocchio-329861.gif

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is 1 that sold for $350 and another for right about $400 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423155855.624399.jpg

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As well as another 15 that sold for under $450

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey turbo...you failed to mention that the at pro that sold for 352.00 was broken .The control box was loose on the shaft and the owner had epoxied it back together...i also noticed that you went through the list and counted the at pros that sold for 450.00 or under...but I also noticed that you didnt mention the many at pros that sold for over 450.00 and the ones that sold in the 5 hundreds and the ones that sold in the 6 hundreds or even the ones that sold in the 7 hundreds,and granted a few of those had some extra goodies with them...But what is most bothersome is how far a person will go to bash or discredit a paticular metal detector...But to each his on...also like someone else posted in this thread...Please...nay..Pretty please tell me when you see a 250.00 at pro as i want to purchase it...thanks and HH...barry

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh..by the way turbo...Just about two hours ago a used At Pro with just headphones sold on ebay for 490.99

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As well as another 15 that sold for under $450

At $450 dollars....thats nearly 80% of full retail! And many sell for much more.... 80% that means an Etrac should bring $1200 used.....a F75ltd should bring over $800 used....and a CZ-3d should bring around $650 used......
Now.....what machines hold their value????

Last edited:

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey turbo...you failed to mention that the at pro that sold for 352.00 was broken .The control box was loose on the shaft and the owner had epoxied it back together...i also noticed that you went through the list and counted the at pros that sold for 450.00 or under...but I also noticed that you didnt mention the many at pros that sold for over 450.00 and the ones that sold in the 5 hundreds and the ones that sold in the 6 hundreds or even the ones that sold in the 7 hundreds,and granted a few of those had some extra goodies with them...But what is most bothersome is how far a person will go to bash or discredit a paticular metal detector...But to each his on...also like someone else posted in this thread...Please...nay..Pretty please tell me when you see a 250.00 at pro as i want to purchase it...thanks and HH...barry

My post above was just a response to you saying ALL of them were selling in the high $400s and over.

You are barking up the wrong tree if you think I am bashing the at pro. The reason I know what they have been selling for is because I am in the market to buy one.

I use a teknetics eurotek pro now and have had tons of great finds. But I am looking for something with ground balance and waterproof to maybe hit some old swimming holes. The best deal I have seen for the at pro was right here in the classifieds for $350.
Great price in my opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions