Headed out the door now, to a newly-discovered 19th C. house site...

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goin' relic hunting. Will be out until well after dark.

Best-case scenario: when I return, I'll either be turnin' cartwheels 'cause I found a large cent or 3c piece or half dime, or maybe some Spanish silver, or a really nice relic like an early military button...

Medium scenario: I'll be moderately enthusiastic because I found a couple interesting relics and maybe a flat button or two, or...

Worst-case scenario: I'll be disgusted 'cause all I got was iron and a few pieces of lead buckshot. (Worst detecting scenario, that is, and even a bad day detecting is still moderately fun).

I found the site late in the day on my last outing. It is freshly cleared, and as of my last visit, I am pretty sure I am the only one to detect it so far. Found some early-1800s pottery and two pieces of clay pipe stem as clues, so it's old enough. There was also a little late-1800s/early 1900s glass and pottery, so there may be Indian Heads and Barber coins if I don't find the sweet old stuff.

I'd say I have about a ten to twenty percent chance of hitting the "best-case" scenario above (since I'm the first on the scene, or one of the very first, anyway). And I think I have a 50-50 chance of the "medium" scenario. The "worst case" scenario is a very real possibility, too: some of these rural sites are pretty sparse. This one, from the hour or so I hunted it, looks to have definite possibilities but it is not what I would call a super-hot spot.

Wish me luck. ;D

Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your in good shape so far for the First scenario......finding pottery and pipe stems may be the icing on the cake.......and lead you to those Spanish silver coins that you seek!!! Good luck! HH

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well I hope when you return we will be seeing some great pics of you doing cartwheels! Best of Luck and looking forward to your finds!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
good luck buddy! hope you find a cashe!

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Good luck my friend, as per our agreement you get to keep all the shiney clad and I guess I'll take that dirty tarnished silver you find :P

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's hope its the best case scenario...:) Even if it turns out to be the worst case scenario, sounds like just finding the place got your adrenlaline flowing and that alone is always a good thing. The finding the site, the anticipation of hunting it for the first time, the enjoyment of being there with high hopes for a nice find...now thats what its all about. And if you find some good stuff then that makes it all the more enjoyable and gives you the thrill that has us all hooked on detecting...:) Hope your finds have you gloating for weeks and makes for some gorgeous posts.....HH and best of luck....:):)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Hope you have a good one.Sounds like a great site from what you've found so far.
And like you said...even a bad day detecting is moderately fun. GOOD LUCK & HH!

OP
OP
lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How 'bout the "I got abducted by little green men in a flying saucer and disappeared from the Internet for over a week" scenario? ;)

That outing, which I am belatedly reporting, was not terribly exciting as detector outings go- found a little brass clasp, a 19th century hoe, and some odds n' ends.

It wasn't a total bust, however. Oddly enough, I made one find that I would consider a really good one... but I didn't find it with the detector, and it was from the wrong century entirely!

Just after I dug the aforementioned old hoe, I looked down and spotted a small piece of stone lying on top of the sand, partly exposed. We don't have rocks here in our sandy coastal soil, so they tend to stand out a bit. This one looked like it might be an old gunflint at first... so I pulled it out of the sand.

Immediately, I realized it wasn't a gunflint... it looked like an arrowhead! In fact, that was exactly what it was. A nice arrowhead, probably much, much older than the house site I was hunting. This happens to me fairly often- I often find prehistoric Indian pottery on colonial and plantation sites, no doubt a result of overlapping centuries of occupation. But this is only the second arrowhead I have found in Georgia.

I think it is chert- it's a pale tan color, turning pink-orange at the tip. No pictures yet, but I will snap one when I find my camera batteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread