All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry either a large buck hunting knife (9 inch blade and razor sharp) or an 8 inch divers knife and I make sure they are visible.

Once I had the beach patrol ask me what it was for, I said "sharks". The truth is it's for "land sharks". I am always wearing my wet suit when I am hunting the beaches here, on the sand or in the water.

MadMorgan

Greenie
Dec 18, 2006
Near Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000 / Titan 3000 XD
treasure_hunter said:
I carry either a large buck hunting knife (9 inch blade and razor sharp) or an 8 inch divers knife and I make sure they are visible.

I left my diving knife in the truck yesterday, but after I found those rings and everyone kept walking up asking " have you found anything" I was wishing I'd had it with me. I wonder if it's acceptable to wear it anywhere on the beach, or if there might be areas that it's illegal.
I'd hate to get my Randall diving knife confiscated. It's a five year wait to get one once you're even on the list, lol.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=23

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Heading for the beach, new guy needs some advice(UPDATED)

Well, I'm here and have gotten out a couple of times. The advice about the saran wrap has been real helpful as it has been pretty breezy most days. It took a bit but I did discover that lane ya'll have been talking about between the two tide marks. lots of clad, a dinner knife, a kids toy plane and lots of trash to show the busy bodies. technically I have 1 ring since it is round and appears to be copper, but certainly isn't jewelry:).

one more question. anyone got any ideas about how to get the marine junk (small shells, etc) off of the coins? a couple are so covered that I can't tell what they are. Also, I may have another ring, but can't get the junk off of it to see what I have.

thanks everyone.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does this sound?:

Soak and Poke.

Soak it in a vinegar-water solution to soften it up and poke and scrape at the baddies till you can make out what you have. Careful! You dont want to scrape on the object itself until you've gotten enough of the crusties off the make an ID.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wishing I'd had it with me (knife). I wonder if it's acceptable to wear it anywhere on the beach, or if there might be areas that it's illegal.

Two ways to find out =

1. Contact the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction. Then just ask them about metal detecting with a dive knife on the beach. Given the chance at that sort of question, though, their response will likely be, "no" to detecting or the knife - or both. Those in control can be funny about exercising it...
(Yes, friends, I have a little quibble with those whose aim is merely to enforce laws, as opposed to those valiant people who work for public safety.)

2. Just carry one discreetly visible - but NOT your big buck SuperSticker. Just get a $15.00-$30.00 stainless, solid tang "dive" knife at WalMart and belt it on as part of the rest of your gear. Carry a pouch, A cell phone, a scoop, a magnet on a stick and the knife. Wear all this on a "duty belt" sort of affair and make it look like part of your normal accoutrements...which it should be.

Just my input...

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give the soak & poke a try as I've got lots of stuff to clean.

heading home tuesday and not sure if I'll get out tomorrow as we have to close up the condo. it's been a good week. at least 150 clad coins, some relics and 1 gold wedding band (10K mens). will send pictures when I get home

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"...everyone kept walking up asking "Have you found anything?"
Here's a great answer to that question:

"Why, did you lose something?"

If they say,"NO," then retort with,"Oh, that must be why I haven't found anything," and pull out a handful of your trash to show them.

If they say, "YES," ...well, you now have a lead to a possible good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread