Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wanted to pass on a tip in exchange for one.

My tip to you: make your own tick repellent. OFF!, made with DEET, just won't cut it. The best tick killer/repellent out there comes from a natural substance called permethrin, which comes from chrysanthemums. Buy a quart of weed killer that has 2.5% permethrin in it, mix it with 5 quarts of water, and soak your clothes in it. Air-dry; it can withstand up to 6 weeks of use or 6 washings, whichever comes first, and ticks will jump/crawl on and just die :icon_thumright:

Your tip to me: I hate beach hunting with my AT Pro, because I suck at using it on the beach. The pinpointer always goes crazy near wet sand & water, and is useless to me. It might be bc of the black sand-riddled beaches I was going to in Delaware, but I've never been to NJ with it yet. Anyone got any advice I can use to keep my sanity? If I fail to find something worthwhile or finally learn my machine in sand, I will likely give up on beach hunts hereafter. Thanks for any who help!

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wanted to pass on a tip in exchange for one.

My tip to you: make your own tick repellent. OFF!, made with DEET, just won't cut it. The best tick killer/repellent out there comes from a natural substance called permethrin, which comes from chrysanthemums. Buy a quart of weed killer that has 2.5% permethrin in it, mix it with 5 quarts of water, and soak your clothes in it. Air-dry; it can withstand up to 6 weeks of use or 6 washings, whichever comes first, and ticks will jump/crawl on and just die :icon_thumright:

Your tip to me: I hate beach hunting with my AT Pro, because I suck at using it on the beach. The pinpointer always goes crazy near wet sand & water, and is useless to me. It might be bc of the black sand-riddled beaches I was going to in Delaware, but I've never been to NJ with it yet. Anyone got any advice I can use to keep my sanity? If I fail to find something worthwhile or finally learn my machine in sand, I will likely give up on beach hunts hereafter. Thanks for any who help!

NJ has same issue with tiny chunks of metal, iron. Take your time and let the detector talk to you. OC is a great place to hunt. Plus when you want to take a break the boardwalk is only feet away. Just remember lot of mineralization in the wet sand. Keep trying different adjustments until you get comfortable. I have dug hundreds of pieces of iron over the years. Don't let it discourage you. Because before you know it one of the iron readings will be a ring!! Good luck

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NJ has same issue with tiny chunks of metal, iron. Take your time and let the detector talk to you. OC is a great place to hunt. Plus when you want to take a break the boardwalk is only feet away. Just remember lot of mineralization in the wet sand. Keep trying different adjustments until you get comfortable. I have dug hundreds of pieces of iron over the years. Don't let it discourage you. Because before you know it one of the iron readings will be a ring!! Good luck

I'm at strathmere right now and I'm really getting pissed off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions