Headphones for Ace 250??? Need some advice

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Ive heard that you dont need them and i have heard you want to wear them to block out all sound around you.

I got my ace 250 today and i got a free set of headphones with the detector but not really what i was wanting or hoping for. These are more like the kind you would use for your walkman or computer. These are Vanco Mini Stereio Headphones.

Im wanting to know if there are good headphones with volume control and not to expensive that i might consider. I honestly dont think ill use these headphones.

here is set i was looking at on ebay anybody have any opinion on these:

These headphones are for extra heavy duty applications. They have a stero/mono switch, two rotary volume controls, adjustable headband and 6 foot coiled cord with 1/4" plug. Specifications are Impedance 8 ohms, Frequency response 450-12000 ohms, Sensitivity 96 dBA @ 1 KHZ, Max input 250 mW. With all that said they work great when your metal detecting.

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
if you have used the headphones that came with your ace you have probably noticed that the ace puts out a very loud tone. therefore you definitely need phones with volume control if you intend to use them. The ace does however put out the same loud tones without using headphones so there is really no reason to use them unless you are working near a busy road or are trying to to be discreet in someones yard or just want privacy.

mark

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The headphones I received with my 250 lasted maybe a day. I use a pair of the light weight stereo headphones and have no problem hearing the ping or beep. It also allows me to hear around me when I go by myself. If you hunt with a partner or group the perferred method is with headphones.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
No mater how inexpensive the detector don't cut corners on headphones. I also would not buy them on e bay. Figure on spending anywhere from$89.00 to $135. You will get a limited life time warranty and when you upgrade to another detector you will have a good set of phones to go with it. Also consider getting a second pair to use when you are sending one pair back for repair.
You will see the wisdom of that when you travel many miles, do hours of research and finally get to the site and your phones won't work. Been there, done that but never again. I now have 4 sets

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind the head stereo phones with volume control about $15.00 at Radio Shack. Monty

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my phones on a need only bases. When I have construction crews around me, barking dogs, kids, ext. Anything I can't here my detector over. If its to noisy I use the headphones. I don't like headphones for many reasons. They hurt my ears, limit my mobility and get in the way. If you need them however they are good to have. I don't use a costly pair cause I don't usually need them.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've got two pair of headphones with separate volume controls and I'm thinking of buying a third, as I often see them at the local flea market for about $2.00 to $5.00. I take a walkman with a plug adapter with me when I go, so I can test them out.

If your any good with an electric drill, you can partly disassemble the headphones, then drill vent holes and screen them over with ordinary nylon type window screen backed with a small amount of foam rubber on the inside, using ordinary clear silicone sealer. (I find that without ventilation, they make my ears all sweaty and it also helps to hear other things, like bears in the vicinity.)

The main reason's for using headphones are;
a) they save on batteries as they tend to use less power than the normal speaker,
b) others can't hear your MD and can't tell when you get a "hit",
c) with the separate volume controls, you can adjust the volume way up on your headphones, then adjust your MD so that you hear a slight constant tone, (maximum sensitivity), then turn down the headphones to the point where you can barely hear the tone anymore.

F.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
I also use a ace 250 and headphones drive me nuts. I have a good set but the cord is a real pain in the you know where and when the temp goes over 70 they make me sweat like a stuffed pig. I see some people on here have gone wireless thats what I am going to try next with a light weight on the ear not over the ear headset.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless is the way to go all right. But right now I don't know of anyone who makes a wireless exclusively for a metal detector. I wonder why not? Looks like there would be a big demand. I'd like to see it light weight but have it's own power source so it wouldn't draw current from your detector. It could use a hearing aid battery for instance and still be compact. Oh, and reasonably priced! One of you electronic guys get busy and design one for us. To me electricity is still magic. I'm very electronically challenged. Monty

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Monty pointed out, Radio Shack has inexpensive headphones with volume control for each ear. A decent set that covers your ears is around $30. I cut the toes off a pair of black cotton socks and slipped them over the vinyl ear pads. It made them more comfortable and they absorb sweat. Not exactly a fashion statement, but MDing is not a pretty hobby (disagree? take a look in the mirror! :P ;D).

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread