Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello there

I have an Excal, and I want to change for a better headphone set. Something better than the yellow Koss....

:icon_scratch:
What is the best ?

MR. GOLD MASTER headphones ? black
Peltor 105 from yellow Koss ? red
Gray Ghosts Amphibian gray
Orcasound blue http://www.teamorcasound.com not working anymore ...

:tongue3:
And for Connectors :

Is it better to use Ikelite connector or end cap connector ? What is the difference ?

And for ikelite, what is the exact reference, serie 400 from buccaneer, but witch model ?

Thanks for your futur answers. :hello2:

Geronimo
:icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• budsresize.JPG
    budsresize.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Gray_ghost.jpg
    Gray_ghost.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 466
  • ikelite.jpg
    ikelite.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Mr_Gold_master.jpg
    Mr_Gold_master.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,531
  • Peltor105mod.jpg
    Peltor105mod.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 219
  • orcasound.jpg
    orcasound.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Think I have had, used and tested all except the Team Orca's.

OBN0040.jpg

The top 3 are the Gray Ghost Amphibians, the Skullies (my own making) And the Gold Masters (Philip), each a great set of head phones, But the best Would be the Gray Ghost Amphibians because they are good for at least 30 plus feet down. The Gold Masters and the Skullies are water resistant, good for quick dips but not for extended period's of under time. The sets of GGA's I setup for the Excalibur's, I go thru each set and beef up the weak points for better longevity and depth. The Audio of each is much louder then the stock, and offer much better tone separation. I will be selling the complete GGA' kit for the Excalibur, endcap to headphones...185.oo shipped starting Oct 28th.

Also something I am working on is a Endcap to switch headphones between the CTX and Excalibur this winter. Sold only with the GGA's I sell......for the CTX or Excalibur.

OBN0044.jpg

On the Bulgins, I have used the 400's for several years now on my headphones. It is very nice to be able to use my GGA's n Skullies on all my detectors, including the PI's and CZ20's. The Ikelites are so hard to get and if you can they are over priced.

OBN0045.jpg

OP
OP
Geronimo_

Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Hello Joe

Thanks for your answer.

At the beginning, your Skullies project was with a Peltor 105. Why do you have switched to the Gray Ghost Amphibian ?
For sure, I have confidence with your skills, and your knowledge, and if it offers much better tone separation..(what I am looking for), I take it ! :occasion14:

Questions : when the piezzo buzzer is under water (filled with water), are the sounds the same with the GGA's, as your original Skullies project with a Peltor 105, or sounds change ; like the Koss, and becomes louder ? :icon_scratch:

Because you install the 400 buccaneer, where excatly is the best 'place' ?
'IN' the GGA's ? (like the Peltor Pic) or somewhere on the Top ?

OBN0045.jpg

If you have some pics of your 28 oct 2013 'almost ready project' with the buccaneer connector .... :icon_thumright:

Geronimo

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
At the beginning, your Skullies project was with a Peltor 105. Why do you have switched to the Gray Ghost Amphibian ?
Thank You Geronimo,
The Skullies are a growing, learning project, I did around 35 sets, got feed back from everyone (the good and the bad), from this I have learned, the weak points and the strong. Took a few months off from them, thought about what I needed to do to improve them to Bullet proof. I learned they have the best audio of all Water Headphones, Maybe the most comfortable and the best at blocking ambient noise but there weak point is they can't be under water but for a short time or they die. So dependability is what I working on now, more testing in the next few months and maybe I can get them back out but even better. The progress so far....
OBN0047.jpg

On the Gray Ghost Amphibians, I had a big hand in the design last winter for the Garretts UW's, they were never meant to be for any other detector, but when I got the first proto type They had to hold me back from trying them on the Excalibur. After I did the first testing, then a video on more testing with the AT Pro they gave me the OK.....After many years of the Original GGUW's poor performance I seen the potential of these for the CTX and the Excalibur. A very dependable, Great preforming set of headphones for any detector, just that they are never going to make them for any other....other then the Garrett n CTX. So while the Skullies are in the redesigning stages the GGA's are fairly easy to setup and offer many great ops for all detectors. I have a set of GGA's going out next week that will be tested on a CZ 20, by OCC Mark...I really see this as a good thing because you can turn up the audio boost on the CZ to full and notch down the audio on the GGA's.....So the GGA's will always have a spot with me.

Questions
: when the piezzo buzzer is under water (filled with water), are the sounds the same with the GGA's, as your original Skullies project with a Peltor 105, or sounds change ; like the Koss, and becomes louder ?
icon_scratch.gif
I will have to do a test on this, for I am not 100% sure. I have sold about 5 sets to divers. All were happy except one. There big thing is they stay on your head better and the long cord which allowed them more freedom.
Because you install the 400 buccaneer, where excatly is the best 'place' ?
'IN' the GGA's ? (like the Peltor Pic) or somewhere on the Top ?

I like installing them right at the top, seems to be less chance of something going wrong, it is easily to replace a headphone, but a headphone and cord will cost you more.

Doc Bevs setup, GGA's on the 1000 and Gold Masters on the 800, I totally rebuild both detectors, replaced coils, headphones, and added remote on the 10

OBN0048.jpg

If your diving I would recommend the GGA's, on the Skullies..I will know more in a few months..they need to set in the pool for a few days then I will feel better about them if they come out working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geronimo_

Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Hello Joe
Thanks for all your replies...:icon_thumleft:

I still not confident with the benefits between the end cap, and a water proof connector ? (the pro and the cons). :icon_scratch:

Maybe the most comfortable and the best at blocking ambient noise but there weak point is they can't be under water but for a short time or they die. So dependability is what I working on now, more testing in the next few months and maybe I can get them back out but even better. The progress so far....
View attachment 881542

How long can they remain under the water before RIP ? Do you speaks in minutes, in hours ? :headbang:

Because I do not dive, and very rarely detecting with the head under the water; do you sell it (with Buccaneer) ? :bom:
I will keep the Koss for under water...

Is the GGA's with Buccaner same price as the version with the end cap ?

:icon_pirat: Last question :
All the headphones are using the same diagram for the connector pin ? (talk about compatibility of the pin, in one Excalibur, you can use all ?)
Do you provide the diagram ? I will have to cut the Koss.... ???

Geronimo

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, how hard would it be to make an adapter so Infinium headphones could be used on the CTX3030? I figure if I could get an IP68 plug like you show in the pictures and the female end of the plug that is used in the Infinium I could make an adapter so I would be able to use GG Amphibians meant for my Infinium on the CTX3030 as well. What are your thoughts on this?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IS THIS "THE" GERONIMO ?

OP
OP
Geronimo_

Geronimo_

Oct 14, 2013
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Excal2
Primary Interest:
Hello CASPER :hello:
When you say "THE GERONIMO" :notworthy: you mean the French guy posting some pics on treasureDepot too ?
Correct ! :laughing7:
:headbang:

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Made a few up already...may have one left, have to check and see. And Geronimo your package is inbound Sir....New design on the Skullies..MSA's shells

OBN0207.jpg

OBN0208.jpg

Last edited:

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, I was actually looking to make the opposite adapter of the one in your picture. However, I just ordered 2, 8P MALE M12 SENSOR STRAIGHT SOLDER IP68 waterproof plugs. I suppose I could swap the plug on the GG Amphibians so they will plug straight into the CTX3030 and then use the adapter like you made for using the GG Amphibians on the Infinium. If you still have one of the adapters left, how much would you want for one?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread