Headphones & the Cibola

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
Greetings! Hope everyone is doing well! I have not visited here in a while actually have not detected for quite a while either.Found a few new honey holes to hunt so it resparked my interest. I've tried several types of headphones over the past decade on the different detectors I've owned including the Gray Ghost, they are great for the winter but these southern summers can be tough...I sold the Ghost two years ago and used a set of Koss I'd got as a freebie on a Garrett purchase "the walkman type" they work well but in a noisy areas near traffic or the beach it's hard to hear those faint beeps. I needed another set so I decided to try the Jolly Rogers, actually ordered them already but still have time to cancel the order. As far as the JRs are they any lighter than the Ghost,less padding? How about sound quality? I know sound quality varies on different detectors,wanted to hear from some Tesoro owners who have used the Jolly Rogers. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones & the Cibola

They sound pretty good on a single tone Tesoro. I did compare the Jolly Rogers to my Bushmasters on a Sovereign and didn't realize how bad the JR's sounded compared to the Bushmasters. I think the JR's will be much better than the Walkman type you mentioned in your post.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch is right. I have JR but they are warm in the summer and the sound quality is less. Heck, anything is better than those "Walkman" type.

OP
OP
scdetector

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, I'll give them a test run when they arrive, I'll try them on my Fisher as well seeing it has multiple tones. I recall speaking with a Tesoro dealer and we were on the headphone subject, he mentioned Tesoro recommends phones with individual volume control, not sure that would effect performance. I've tried dual volumes and personally didn't like them,I think they were Rads... I'll take a look at the Bushmasters. The build of thr JR look similar to the GG,not sure if sound quality is equally as good but as mentioned I did like the Ghost but heavy padded headphones are not fun in the heat,I found myself wearing them on my neck more than on my head

Last edited:
OP
OP
scdetector

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Well, I'm not pleased with the Jolly Rogers. The don't sound bad but 4 segments of the volume control do very little, I can't seem to find a sweet spot, one notch is a bit too quiet for my taste and the next is to loud. Guess I'll be returning these. How about the killer Bs?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Killer Bees are very good. As with detectors the components of the phones aren't to specs. I love my Black Widows but they are warm in the summer in the south. Its always best to take your detector to a dealer to test the various phones.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings! Hope everyone is doing well! I have not visited here in a while actually have not detected for quite a while either.Found a few new honey holes to hunt so it resparked my interest. I've tried several types of headphones over the past decade on the different detectors I've owned including the Gray Ghost, they are great for the winter but these southern summers can be tough...I sold the Ghost two years ago and used a set of Koss I'd got as a freebie on a Garrett purchase "the walkman type" they work well but in a noisy areas near traffic or the beach it's hard to hear those faint beeps. I needed another set so I decided to try the Jolly Rogers, actually ordered them already but still have time to cancel the order. As far as the JRs are they any lighter than the Ghost,less padding? How about sound quality? I know sound quality varies on different detectors,wanted to hear from some Tesoro owners who have used the Jolly Rogers. Thanks!!
I use Philips SHS 5200 headphones, light weight, never sweaty, and can hear outside sounds for safety. Worn from behind your head, and rests on your ears, kinda like sunglasses. Try them, you'll love them!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I(we) use the single cup Killer Bees, that way we can hear whats sneeking up from behind. Also if it gets hot just flip the over to the otherside. I have both the Killer bees and Grey ghosts. Both are in the single cup design and I have to admitt the Killer Bees are better made. I did a review and write up on then about a year ago , with pics. If you are doing the beach then you should get the double cups... You know, the DDs with the pink fringe. :laughing7:

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sound pretty good on a single tone Tesoro. I did compare the Jolly Rogers to my Bushmasters on a Sovereign and didn't realize how bad the JR's sounded compared to the Bushmasters. I think the JR's will be much better than the Walkman type you mentioned in your post.
I run Killer B's with my vaquero and like them very much. I ran the JR's on my first vaquero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread