Feb 21, 2013
Southern Hoosierville
Detector(s) used
Garrett BFO,

Bounty Hunter Big Bud,

White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running an 1990's model Spectrum XLT and have hearing loss in one ear, not total but higher frequencies right about where a cricket noise fits into the scale. The XLT is capable of changing the frecuency-tone, but when I set it in the range of the bad ear then the good ear suffers.

Here's some questions, what's a good brand of headphones that will complement the XLT ? Should I consider just running with just one ear ,what about an aircraft or maybe a recording studio high end set ?

I have older headphones, Fischer's, Bounty hunters and the White's that came with the old XLT, any mod's :wrench_orange:I can do with them to make them work better ?

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need new headphones for my XLT also. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Killer "Bs" built good,fit good,sound good,lifetime warranty

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Killer "Bs" built good,fit good,sound good,lifetime warranty

Which do you use? Killer B I or Killer B II?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggestion.......Killer Bees use audiosears 2463 which have a higher pitch....check out the different speakers
these were hooked up to a Minelab excalibur UW detector....
Got about 10 minutes? Excalibur Speaker choice, Which is the Best?

Been building and using Amped head phones for about 4 years now....I'll be building a few sets next year to see how they do, only problem they may make your hearing worse but guarantee to be for the faint of hearing...

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am running an 1990's model Spectrum XLT and have hearing loss in one ear, not total but higher frequencies right about where a cricket noise fits into the scale. The XLT is capable of changing the frecuency-tone, but when I set it in the range of the bad ear then the good ear suffers.

Here's some questions, what's a good brand of headphones that will complement the XLT ? Should I consider just running with just one ear ,what about an aircraft or maybe a recording studio high end set ?

I have older headphones, Fischer's, Bounty hunters and the White's that came with the old XLT, any mod's :wrench_orange:I can do with them to make them work better ?

You might want to consider the Rattler headphones by Detector Pro. It only covers one ear and is quite high quality.
As far as your older headphones are concerned, they are what they are. The best thing you can do to them is insert high density foam in the ear cups to deaden some of the ambient noise. I did replace the speakers in a set of White's Royal GT headphones once. The problem is the cups are made of thinnish plastic and the muffs aren't much better. It's kind of like trying to make a purse out of a sow's ear. Great headphones are more than just expensive speakers, or leatherette muffs. They are the total package - knobs with positive detents, limiter circuit, strong/long cords that are replaceable, cups made of materials that deaden noise, comfortable headbands, and much more.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Suggestion.......Killer Bees use audiosears 2463 which have a higher pitch....check out the different speakers
these were hooked up to a Minelab excalibur UW detector....
Got about 10 minutes? Excalibur Speaker choice, Which is the Best?

Been building and using Amped head phones for about 4 years now....I'll be building a few sets next year to see how they do, only problem they may make your hearing worse but guarantee to be for the faint of hearing...

OBN
Great post very informative, i like um all but i seem to here the first one the best The sunray/Bs/Gray Ghost`s....second would be the speakers used in the ratphones.
Gary

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can't wear those big ol ear muff head phone, they really bother the side of my head with my glasses in between. So I use my isolation in-ear ear head phones made by Eytomotic Research. This is a newer version than the ones I have Etymotic Research, Inc. - mc5? earphones These are not really heavy duty stuff like the MD phones but block all outside noise (35db+) and are crystal clear.

The problem with these are they need an adapter and a volume control. Since my CM GT puts out a lot of audio power, the inline volume control I got at Radio Shack did not work well, it was to loud.
I removed it and made my own out of 2 25K 15 turn pots. After soldering them in line, I use crazy glue to hold everything together and then 5 minute epoxy to make it road worthy, paying attention not to get any on the adjustment screws.

For your issue, you could put 2 of these pots in-line on your existing head set which will allow you to fine tune each channel to get the sound dead center of your head.

100_1997.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread