Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just curious if most of you metal detectorist ' s use headphones.
I didn't for my first 4 months of metal detecting. Then, on the advice of Stefan (Stoofs), purchased a set of Killer B's. Now I never hunt without them attached to my ears.

Yes, it's an extra step while MD, and sometimes they get in the way. But the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

No more traffic noise. Helps to keep knats out of the ears. The faint sounds suddenly became clear sounds.

Anyways, I figure the subject of headphones has been discussed many times. Perhaps a little more discussion might be beneficial to someone who is thinking about going the headphone way or maintain their resistance to these knat shields.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With out headphones you can't hear the deep targets which are just a faint whisper.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always use some..

I started off using some cheap ones about a week after getting my first detector and they made a big difference; I could hear everything! Gave up on the cheap ones after a couple more weeks though, then broke down and got some Killer B's. While the cheap ones sounded OK and were fairly comfortable, they were too flimsy for detecting around brush and trees, and with the thin cord constantly getting caught on twigs I thought I'd break the 1/8 plug off (was using them with a ¼" adapter). After a bit of reading around, it came down to a couple brands of dedicated detecting headphones and Killer B's seemed like the ones to get. Love 'em. As long as it's not too hot out, they're very comfortable and they let me hear it all.

While you'll still find some targets without headphones, I promise you'll find more with 'em. :icon_sunny:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never leave home to detect without my Gray Ghosts.
BB

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Black Widows but Grey Ghost's are nice too.:icon_thumleft:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which brand you choose, any higher end headphones are great. Any are great really but when you step up to killer b, grey ghost, etc you realize how much better headphones can be :-)

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that I couldn't decide on headphones. There were 2 used headphones that I decided to buy.
One was Sun Ray Gold and the other was a beat up faded dirty Gray Ghost Ultimate.
The Sun Ray headset was nice.
The grey ghost was a project.
The black plastic was faded. I cleaned that up with peanut butter. Looks new. The grey ear cups are beat up and the ear pads were trashed. An email to the manufacturer and a check sent for $13 for new earpads. The grey ghost works amazingly well. I love them. Great service from Detector pro.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones work great.. upgraded after the stock ctx headphones kept cutting out..

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that I couldn't decide on headphones. There were 2 used headphones that I decided to buy.
One was Sun Ray Gold and the other was a beat up faded dirty Gray Ghost Ultimate.
The Sun Ray headset was nice.
The grey ghost was a project.
The black plastic was faded. I cleaned that up with peanut butter. Looks new. The grey ear cups are beat up and the ear pads were trashed. An email to the manufacturer and a check sent for $13 for new earpads. The grey ghost works amazingly well. I love them. Great service from Detector pro.

Wait, what??

How on earth did anybody figure this out..........and why??

Was somebody just sitting around with a jar of peanut butter thinking, "hmmmm, I bet this would clean up my headphones nicely"? :dontknow:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, what??

How on earth did anybody figure this out..........and why??

Was somebody just sitting around with a jar of peanut butter thinking, "hmmmm, I bet this would clean up my headphones nicely"? :dontknow:

You really need to love peanut products.. Must be 1001 uses for the stuff. :icon_thumleft:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sun Ray headset was nice.... The grey ghost works amazingly well. I love them..

Brian, do you think the Sun Ray and Gray Ghost sound similar, or does one sound better than the other? How about comfort between the two?

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170709_140513.jpg
In the past I was working on an old Mercedese 300D and I found the peanut butter suggestion and it worked perfectly. The oil penetrates and the ruined looking ash grey became a vibrant black again.
Both together cost me less than 1 new.
I haven't really had the chance to put the Sun Ray Pro though its paces. The Grey ghost isn't as snug by the slightest of margins so the comfort nod goes to the grey ghost. Detectorpro customer service was great. $13 for a new set of comfortable earpads.
I suspect that the Sun Ray Pro Gold will be great. For now I tend to reach for the Grey Ghost.

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A better picture of before and after.

Attachments

• 20170709_142406.png
    20170709_142406.png
    270.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170709_142240.jpg
    20170709_142240.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170709_144118.jpg
    20170709_144118.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do the chipmunks and squirrels follow you around when you are in the park?? LOL........

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cleans up pretty good. No peanut butter smells. Its been bear tested. I brought the headphones into the Adirondack Mnts. at Inlet N.Y. 6th lake.
Tons of bears there. 3 years ago I was startled awake by a huge black bear pouncing the ground on the other side of my thin tent. I could hear it sniffing the tent about an inch from my scalp and it bound off. Cars are known to be broken into. If those headphones had a spec of peanut butter smell a bear would be wearing the Grey Ghost now :)

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cleans up pretty good. No peanut butter smells. Its been bear tested. I brought the headphones into the Adirondack Mnts. at Inlet N.Y. 6th lake.
Tons of bears there. 3 years ago I was startled awake by a huge black bear pouncing the ground on the other side of my thin tent. I could hear it sniffing the tent about an inch from my scalp and it bound off. Cars are known to be broken into. If those headphones had a spec of peanut butter smell a bear would be wearing the Grey Ghost now :)

HAHAHAHA...........I can see the bears cave now........

Your head stuffed and mounted on his wall wearing a pair of GG's! LOL........

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee ha ha. Great peanut butter story.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state of Georgia approves this thread! Anyway my headphones worked well, goodwill find with separate volume controls but are nearing their end. I also have a set of those old lightweight things that just sit on your ears with little round foam pads (no good in wind). Their nice when it's hot but the cord is light weight wire with no coils so they get tugged off with any resistance so i don't use them much. Both are better then nothing.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah....anything peanut butter, Georgia right here for you. Pecans too.

Killer B's. I don't leave home without them. Comfort and nice clear tones describes them best. Keeps knats out of ears, traffic noise, and you look cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions