Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caribbean hunt

I was in the Caribbean in the end of February and the first time I brought my 600, it turned out not so well I had purchased the minelab headphones a couple years ago and they didn’t work. I sent them in to minelab so I didn’t have them when I went on vacation . So back to this year when I. Was detecting I would get a signal but it would not pinpoint properly. The signal would start and then just fade away wave the detector over the spot and great signal after signal go to pinpoint and just fade away again. So I’m there so I would just dig and dig spending a lot of time and frustration to sometimes finding my signal,And while in the ocean you really need good pinpointing the water moves you around a bit. Are the grey ghost headphones my best option? And I have tried to contact minelab about my headphones but nobody has yet to get back to me.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in the water, you should get some waterproof wired headphones. My buddy Tony Eisenhower has some good ones. I had him build me a pair early on and they've been working great for over 2 years now. I don't know what your pin pointing problem is. My detector will sometimes not pin point when I press the button the first time. I have to return to detect and then press it again to make it work properly. In the water, you can always use the "wiggle" method, where you get the signal centered under the coil and then back the coil off slowly, while wiggling the coil back and forth, until the signal just disappears, the target should be right in front of the coil at that point. That's usually the way I do it even out of the water. Seems to me that it's just quicker and easier if you have a good big sand scoop.

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were water proof headphones they were minelabs

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you have never detected in the ocean. Because the wiggle method will put you way off your mark you are being pushed hard all the time .but if my pinpointing would work properly you can push your detector down hard enough to hold steady and I have an extreme scoop

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it you have never detected in the ocean. Because the wiggle method will put you way off your mark you are being pushed hard all the time .but if my pinpointing would work properly you can push your detector down hard enough to hold steady and I have an extreme scoop

Well, I have, and still do, detect in the ocean. Granted, I've only been doing it for about 25 years, so, you may have more experience there. I just said what has worked for me. I generally don't hunt in the water if the surf pushes me around too much. I'd rather wait for a calmer day. If your Minelab headphones quit working, they should replace them under warranty. If you're looking for a different set, and don't want to take my recommendation, that's fine. Try the GG'a and tell us how you like or dislike them. If the pin point feature doesn't work correctly, you may have to send the detector in for repair/replacement. Does it pin point properly out of the water?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GG's don't get good marks on volume level. They are pretty quiet which doesn't work well with surf noise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread