HeadPhones

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to add, Black Widow, Killer Bee's, Jolly Roger.

Don't scrimp on the headphones as cheap ones will not respond as well to the signal. Nor are they made as well.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Sandman. The better ones are pricey, but think of it this way - you are probably only going to buy one pair, at least to start, so why not invest in good ones?
My two bits,
Bill

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had several types of headphones and it is most definitely true that some are much better than others. The thing about a good pair of headphones vs any pair off the store shelf is in the ability to clearly hear each separate tone. Using a cheaper set of headphones can sometimes make it harder to pick out the tones. A cheap pair of headphones will often produce more muddy, bass heavy, tones, which can make it seem as if the sounds are being muffled in some way.

When I first started detecting I purchased a decent, but relatively inexpensive, set of headphones from the store that I got my detector from. These headphones produced nice sound, however they were not made with what I would call "heavy duty" materials. After a few months the cord went bad and I was left looking for a new pair. I went to a local radio shack where I saw a pair of headphones that appeared strikingly similar to the ones that had broken. I purchased them and I think at that time the Radio Shack headphones cost me around $12.00, give or take.

I immediately realized from the moment I started to detect that there was quite a difference in sound quality, despite the similarities in appearance to the pair that I had broken. The sound was very poor in fact. Everything was muffled. It felt as if I was trying to differentiate the tones listening through a rolled up sock. I hated using them and quickly began the process to find a good pair of phones that were also well made.

I purchased a set of Killer B Hornet headphones ( http://thrpro.com/Killer B site_page15.html ). These are the full tank style headphones that go over the ear, as opposed to on the ear, which helps to keep out a little more of the outside ambient noise. I wanted this style for two reasons, 1st because of the fact that a significant amount of the hunting I do is typically in proximity to heavy traffic and noise generally associated with urbanized areas. The 2nd reason was because I often had some discomfort when hunting all day with phones that rested on my ears.

The Killer B's are great, in fact I love them, but I did have a minor issue with the construction of them that caused me to send them back to the manufacturer. This defect showed up right at the start of the detecting season. I couldn't stand the though of having to wait until the headphone were repaired and shipped back from the manufacturer before I was able to get out and do some major detecting. So what I did instead was I sent the Killer B's off to be fixed, and at the same time, I purchased a set of Grey Ghost Ultimates from Souther-Treasures.
( http://www.southern-treasures.com/gray ghost ultimate.htm )

The Grey Ghost Ultimates are really excellent headphones as well, and perhaps even better constructed than the Killer B's - at least in my estimation. The sound clarity and elimination of outside noise are every bit on par with the Killer B's.

Ultimately though, my preference is for the Killer B's. The Grey Ghosts seem to squeeze my fat head a little too tightly, while the Killer B's feel somewhat more comfortable when worn all day.

Although having two sets of high quality headphones does represent a significant investment in equipment costs, purchasing these two pairs together would cost you on the order of $250.00 including the shipping costs, but the benefit of is that if one should go down and need to be repaired, you'll still have a second pair to keep you happily detecting without skipping a beat.

Either way Killer B's or DetectorPro Headphones (makers of the Grey Ghost, Black Widow, Rattler and the Jolly Rogers) you can't go wrong. ( http://www.detectorpro.com/headphones.htm )

These headphones will allow you to hear all the treasure that your detector can find.

Happy Hunting,

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• Green%20Hornet.jpg
    Green%20Hornet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Ultimate_Gray_Ghost_Phones.jpg
    Ultimate_Gray_Ghost_Phones.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 247

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
black widow's they really cut out all the xtra noise and just let you hear the sound of he detector.......rh

OP
OP
shane41

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. My 67 birthday is coming up in March so guess what I will be looking for LOL.. Shane

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very happy with DetectorPro products. I've got a pair of Black Widows and they are high quality and like being in the Dome of Silence. Sometimes this is a problem at parks and public areas. My favorite headphone is a single ear-cup Rattler that allows me to hear who's walking up on me. They are also lighter and (50%) cooler. Even in the woods in old cellar sites I get creeped out less with them. Something about being alone and deaf in the woods just doesn't sit well with me. I want to hear that banjo so I can skedaddle before the . . . well, never mind.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I was going to ask this very question can anyone tell us the advantages of better quality headphones thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outside noise reduction so you can hear faint signals, adjustability & comfort, low electronic hum, low distortion, better tone sounds (for detectors that don't use pre-set pitch alarms), better transmission of faint signals on deep targets, cords don't short or pull out, fast service (I dropped my BW and DetectorPro replaced the broken switch for free), quality parts (less chance of ruined trips from gear failure), better workmanship, longer service life, work good at home listening to Pink Floyd.

Oh, and noise reduction circuitry so you don't blow your eardrums when you find a shallow aluminum pie plate. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread