Hearing problems? Wait!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently got my hearing aids from the VA. Great day in the morning! I can HEAR again in my right ear! If you are OLD and have hearing loss, ask your doctor for the newer digital ones. Mine came with an ICOM piece (optional) that is worn around my neck like a necklace. ANYTHING using earphones (or bluetooth such as cell phones) now essentially become WIRELESS! Wow! It is hard to express how nice it is to hear stereo in BOTH ears! I have not been able to do that since losing my right eardrum in Viet Nam! And my detector earphones are now wireless! TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
??What happened Terry? didn't pay your entertainers fee and you got bopped on the ear? snicker :icon_sunny: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: one for Shaun mi OIRISH buddy.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Actually Don Jose, I lost the eardrum at Hue during the Tet offensive of '68. I did not know the extent of what happened and didn't tell "the boss". It became infected and I have had three eardrums put in ('71, '78, and 2000). In 2000 they said they got the active (since Viet Nam) infection. So far... so good. Shaun and others can make fun.... no problem what so ever, but no one can know how it feels to hear again, unless they also go through it. Stay thirsty, my friend! TTC

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG, Got Mine From the VA 10 Months ago decided on only getting One ear done at a time, The only issue I have had is that i can be a little Uncomfortable ( in the ear model) when I'm Congested up Other wise Thank you Va And did not Cost Me anything!!! ;D ;D ;D Plus they Pat for the Batteries and Other supplies!!!

My hearing Loss was from Tumors in both ears, 2 surgeries on both of them!!! and I'm Partially tone Deaf It makes Detecting a Completely New Challenge at times!!!!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, WD (Mike) and Chug... I also get (got) the batteries. Since I'm 100%, they are free. Ok, not free.... paid for by the government.... but I did what I was called on to do... so.... it's MY TURN! Only problem I have, Chug, is they are TOO GOOD at picking up everything! I can hear Judy calling my name in a grocery store... I turn to find she is on the other side of the store! The doc has two adjustments to do when I go. He can make them more "directional" so they will filter out the sides and concentrate on the noises in front and re-form the ear portion on the right ear to better transfer the sounds into the ear. Just one more thing, guys (and gals) I am excited about it all! TTC

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure of the type You Have But i can Turn down Mine with a cell phone Or a regular Phone!!! using the star or Pound Key Get used to Hearing every thing again The Background Noises were the Worse, Refrigerator, Washing Machine, Red, Cars driving By Large groups of People etc

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chug and Red said:
I'm not sure of the type You Have But i can Turn down Mine with a cell phone Or a regular Phone!!! using the star or Pound Key Get used to Hearing every thing again The Background Noises were the Worse, Refrigerator, Washing Machine, Red, Cars driving By Large groups of People etc
Ha ha! Let me fill in one of the etc's... One of Judy's dogs is old.. and the nails get long and "click" on the floor. When I go for the treat box, he comes by with the others and "tap dances" using his nails. Only those in our position can appreciate that. Ha! TTC

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Isn't it amazing the little thinks like claws on a floor that most take for granted... WTG Terry. Congrats on being able to hear with both ears again and ...... "Thank you for your Service for our Country"

Cliff

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdv1 said:
Isn't it amazing the little thinks like claws on a floor that most take for granted... WTG Terry. Congrats on being able to hear with both ears again and ...... "Thank you for your Service for our Country"

Cliff
Thank you, Sir. I've had 29 people thank me (in person) for my service (in Vietnam). The first was at "the wall". TTC

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I got my fist pair of hearing aids from the VA 4 years ago and dang did the world get noisy. Just got a new pair a couple of months ago hearing got worse so had to go with a form fitting insert and the tube for going to the hearing aid over the ear is bigger but I like the form fitting ear piece better than the first one i had. The newer ones were harder to get used to because everything went through the hearing aid the first set I had noise could go through the ear also. The worse part is now I can hear every dang kid in the area when they scream bloody murder for no dang reason. But it is nice to hear better again.

Thanks for the service guys and gals

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Frank. Hoist a brew for the VA! Hearing aids, dentures, reading glasses, $80.00+ (travel pay) when I go to Livermore....all free! They've done alright by me. Still get shivers when I see a rocking chair, but I'm alright for now. TTC

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well you guys are Lucky in a way, but no one can say you didn't pay for them. I served in a reserve unit for 8 years between wars so except for a couple of weeks a year I was never on active duty. My hearing is down to legally deaf without my hearing aids. Actually I am tone deaf. I can't hear anything above 1K cycles. I wear miracle ear behind the ear unites. They set me back $4k. The big problem with them is moisture. It gets in the tubes and blocks the sound. I have to vacume them out about once a week. The little white piece near the aid end of the tube is a moisture filter and it can stop up. The thing that drives me crazy is tire noise and compressors in refig. equipment. When I use the PI detector at the beach with headphones, I can hear the proverbial pin drop. It goes way down. I consider myself lucky being 74 and still extremely active out there looking for those caches. I think as long as you keep moving you are OK. It's when you lay still to long that they plant you. Frank

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I also have a hearing loss(acoustic trauma-Nam) and use headphones when detecting. The use of headphones helps a great deal in detecting to pick up even the faint sounds of a deep target that might be silver of gold that would have been over look without the head set. And best of all, people in the park or other areas that hear the beeping of your detector sometimes complain to authorities that detecting should be off limits or at least seen and NOT HEARD. I wear headsets to hear my targets and pacify the annoying on looker.
Hearing loss is an unseen disability of millions of Americans that don't know it's bad enough to get checked out or think they can't afford to find out how bad it is. Don't go through life missing out because you can't hear the question.
If she says yes can you hear her?

stagger

Sep 29, 2010
Carrizozo, NM
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado Umax * Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 years in the USMC infantry pretty much shot my hearing. Got hearing aids in both ears now and love em. I still remember the first day I had them and how amazed I was as to how much I'd been missing. I've had mine now for 2 1/2 years.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Frankn they have little things that look like socks that you can put over your hearing aids behind your ears to absorb most of the sweat. They do get soaked if ya sweat like I do which is why I usually take mine out when I work ouside in the heat and know i am going to sweat. Check with your hearing office they might have them on hand. Actually I started wearing sweat band under my hat to keep sweat off my glasses and it works pretty good to keep sweat off the hearing aids also. The sweat gets in where the batteries are and shorts them out so you have to let them dry before you can use them again and it does cause some rust if you don't dry them and wipe them out good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread