Heart pumping drop today

Navyguy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Chicago
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my first time dumping a box of halves. I was at my CU and the coin counter breaks. I get the teller and she looks at the screen then looks at the coins and says they don't fit in this machine. She tells me they are dollars. I educate her on the denomination and tell her the $434 on the screen is all from halves. The manager shows up and figures out the bag is full. They tell me they have not had a full bag of halves in over a year. I stand there watching and thinking my wife is in the car and probably pissed that it's taking so long. In the mean time the bag is sealed and they put it on a cart. I look down and guess what I see....... Yup a shit ton of silver at the bottom of the bag. I'm talking a lot of silver. I'm trying not to get emotional in front of them and I say what would it take to get that bag? Guy tells me that this one is sealed and cannot be sold to me. I didn't want to make a scene so I finished and left. It's got me feeling sick. I will be making friends with this guy very soon!
HH,
Troy

Upvote 0

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UGGGHHH! Buying off the machines produces the best for me! Its hard to find a bank that will allow it, but it can be a real silver mine!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the only way I buy bags off the machine - sealed. He's full of it, but good luck tho.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to throw UP. How do you recover from this? It will take you a few months not to think abut it.

This is the game.

Darth Walker

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If that were to happen to me, of course I would be sick.

But then again, I would take action.

Drive to that bank in the morning, with $500 cash in hand. I would also have $100 in clad halves available waiting in the car.

Ask them again if you can buy the bag. You could always tell them you think you let some of your old coins sort into the bag on accident, and that you want to buy them back.

When you are asking, have the $500 in your hand so they can see that you are serious.

There are a myriad of options you could try....but I would go with "I may have accidentally put in coins in the bag that I shouldn't have", but, then again, I am always advising people on the forum not to lie while CRH. You could also beg too, or offer to buy the manager lunch.

I think that the odds of getting that bag are really against you, but if you don't at least try several times, you will wonder for the rest of your life of 'what could have been'.

I probably would try again Monday and Tuesday too, if you think there is enough silver in the bag to justify it. Something I learned after 20 years in sales is that being persistent pays off, and until the manger or tellers won't speak to you, you still have rapport with them, even if they are screaming at you.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well look at this way... those coins will show in a box soon

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the 1st bag i did i got $640 in silver!!!!!!!

TCOZY13

Aug 10, 2011
OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TimZim said:
Wow the 1st bag i did i got $640 in silver!!!!!!!
That face or melt value? Big difference lol. Either way thats an awesome score

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread