Heart Shaped locket? UPDATE

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Today was my first time out MD'ing in over a week. The weather has been nasty and I had a nasty cold too. On my second dig I found this. It looks golden in color and is slightly heavy. It has writing on the front but I can't make out what it says. I only washed it with water. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it up better? This is all I found today. The neighbors kid came down and aggravated the $%^& out of me so I quit for the day. :(

Attachments

• Heart.JPG
    Heart.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Heart Shaped locket

Glad you got out Pepper :) And sorry about the neighbor kid :-\

HH!
TBGO

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Hi Pepper, looks like a pet tag to me, off of a collar. -Noodle

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

Thanks, TBGO. He'll be in school tomorrow so maybe I'll be able to hunt longer. :D

Noodle, you may be right. Must have been a huge dog! I'm going to try some toothpaste and brush it. Maybe then I can read the name on it.

Pepper :)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sorry to hear about your cold, hope all is well now, its great that you got out. I think its a pet tag too.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

HI PEPPER NICE FIND. HOPE YOU GET TO FEELING BETTER.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used

Thanks all. I do feel much better thank you. Did a little MD'ing today and found a dime and 4 pennies. I seriously don't think this find is a dog tag. It is 1" by 1" and the hole is very small. Plus there is a name on it but I can't get it clean enough to read it. I'm going to take it to my dealer and ask him about it when I pick up my loop cover. If it is a dog tag then I can change my title. lol

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Nice find. Was in your state last week, 75 miles east of Macon. About froze to death, but it was warmer than Michigan. Weather was OK for a couple days & got to go MDing for the first time.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

hope you feeling better and the weather gets better too. I think it might be a dog rabie tag myself but not sure

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Re: Heart Shaped dog locket?

trusty, glad you got some MD'ing in while you where here. It has been pretty cold this month.

bgf, I changed my title on my thread.....lol...I was so hoping I had found an old cheap piece of jewelry! :'( I changed the title so I wouldn't miss lead anyone. I really did think it was jewelry. If I could just make out the name on it I would be happy. :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You KNOW we gotta know what it says! :D Here's what I do....put it in a bowl of water and dishwashing liquid. Let it soak a bit and then clean it with a toothbrush..dab a little more soap on it too. Then...get out a magnifying glass for a close up look-see! ;)

Nana :)

Second thought here...is it engraved or is it just stamped on with ink? Reason I ask..I found a neat tag a couple of days ago and when I went to clean it to see what it was, it had the name of a company and a five digit phone number that I almost washed all off. :P :D

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used

Nana40 said:
You KNOW we gotta know what it says! :D Here's what I do....put it in a bowl of water and dishwashing liquid. Let it soak a bit and then clean it with a toothbrush..dab a little more soap on it too. Then...get out a magnifying glass for a close up look-see! ;)

Nana :)

Second thought here...is it engraved or is it just stamped on with ink? Reason I ask..I found a neat tag a couple of days ago and when I went to clean it to see what it was, it had the name of a company and a five digit phone number that I almost washed all off. :P :D

It's engraved. I'm going to try out your suggestion. It's driving me crazy not knowing what is written on it and it looks to be a name.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it silver ? you said it was heavy. I sure liked the post keep up the good work. HH
Burdie

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used

Nana40, I'm 99.9 % sure the name is Loretta!! I tried to find a font that looks like it but haven't yet. The tt's are crossed with a slanted loop.

Burdie, I don't know what it is made of. My MXT goes from 25 cent then to silver. It is heavy and very strong material. It is not iron. I tried to zoom in with my camera and see if the name shows better for online but it didn't do such a good job.
I'll try working with some pictures in different light.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Pepper,

I think it's a heart shaped tag of some sort, looks to be about 1" x 1" ;D

nice that you got out, I wish that I could do the same, but I still have about 6 in of snow on the ground >:( :'(

I often clean those things with hot water dish soap and an old toothbrush. That seems to get most of the dirt off so at least I can read what the item says.

just my 2cents

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

If it is a dog tag, and one inch by one inch sounds about right, it was probably one of those that people mail order with the name of the pet engraved on it, and sometimes with the family phone number. They're a little heavier than the rabies tags you get from the vet. Let us know what you find! Hope you're feeling better! :)

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
I had to go to my Whites dealer today and pick up some things I wanted. I showed him this. He said it was old, and that is was jewelry. It was coated with silver but he didn't know what the other metal was but it's not iron. He has these GIANT magnifying glasses and he said I was correct the name on the locket is Loretta!! whooopppeee! My first jewelry! :D :) :) :-*

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! :) Now that you've broken the ice, you'll be finding lots of stuff now.

HH!
TBGO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread