Heartbreak @ the lake....

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I live about two and a half hours from Chicago, and I had been watching the weather for lake Michigan, a couple of weeks ago a storm had passed over the lake on Friday so we decided to go on Saturday and see what our ATpros could find. I was eager to see if all the wave action was going to churn up anything.:dontknow: When we arrived on the beach, It was still rough and the waves were 2-3 feet high. Just when I was about to go in, the Lifeguards put out the red flag and banned swimming for the rest of the day. I had my waders on and had driven all that time to get to the beach, so I was dissapointed when I couldn't enter the water, truly all dressed up with nowhere to go!

I'm still on a learning curve with my new machine and I don't know a lot about water hunting, but we have found a couple of rings, costume jewelry, and coins in the small lakes around my home area and so we wanted to give a bigger lake a shot.

Anyway, we hunted the beach for hours and hours waiting for the guards to go home, we found a bunch of coins and trash. At one point I was at the waters edge, about ankle deep, and I stared to get a lot of hits, pull tabs, old rusty bottle tops, and coins, I couldn't keep up with them all!. So I ran to get my wife and bring her back to the water. As soon as we were ankle deep and getting hits, a Lifeguard came up and told us we couldn't have any part of our body in the water. We didn't argue and we stepped back onto the shore.

I felt if I could have been in the water about knee to waist deep I would have had a shot at a ring (you never know Chicago Ron and his crew may have missed one!). A couple of hours later, the Lifeguards left and we went in the water - nothing, zero, not even a beep. I pushed it till it was almost dark but I feel like I had missed the boat. It was a long drive home that night:hourglass::BangHead:

So my question for all you water hunters out there is: does this sound like the way the beaches in Chicago (or any of the Great lakes) usually act in rough weather (waves pushing stuff in) or was this a fluke? Since it's a far drive for us, I want to maximize our chances of finding something to write home about, and I know now to check for wave height forecast before we go so we don't end up "beached" again.:-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions