Heartbreaker trade bead (maybe)

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Found what I think is half of a trade bead. Found at a contact period habitation site along the Connecticut River in Massachusetts.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure would've been pretty!! GOOD EYE....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's made of glass, it likely is a trade bead. Maybe Dutch. If you google 17th century trade beads, you'll find many multicolored examples. As far as I know, they were always made of glass.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Charl, it is made of glass. I found it while metal detecting a spot I frequent. I see people walking the field looking for artifacts almost every time I'm there. There was an active contact period village site right where I found it. I know others have found beads within 50 yards of where I found mine.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a chevron trade bead, like Charl said it is a Dutch made bead, made around the mid. 1600's. The Dutch had a big trade business going on with just about everyone back then, they made them and other nations used them to trade to all types of people that had never seen glass. That is were an how we bought the Americas for a bunch of beads.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charl, it is made of glass. I found it while metal detecting a spot I frequent. I see people walking the field looking for artifacts almost every time I'm there. There was an active contact period village site right where I found it. I know others have found beads within 50 yards of where I found mine.

Sounds like a good spot for trade points. You're lucky to have sites that allow one to pursue both hobbies....

Paleo and Contact are my two favorite eras where artifacts are concerned. Between shillings and Clovis, you sure reached the promised land.....

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a chevron trade bead, like Charl said it is a Dutch made bead, made around the mid. 1600's. The Dutch had a big trade business going on with just about everyone back then, they made them and other nations used them to trade to all types of people that had never seen glass. That is were an how we bought the Americas for a bunch of beads.

Plus, the Dutch established a major trading post further south on the Ct. River, near present day Hartford.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Plus, the Dutch established a major trading post further south on the Ct. River, near present day Hartford.

I've always wanted to detect the Windsor, Ct area. Plenty of artifacts from all era in those fields along the river

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always wanted to detect the Windsor, Ct area. Plenty of artifacts from all era in those fields along the river

I've missed out on a lot by not taking up metal detecting. I just found out a guy found one of those shillings in a field I've hunted. This past Spring. Field is next to where a 17th century stockade was located.

At the other end of the spectrum, had good luck hunting a drawn down reservoir this Winter. Three Paleo lance bases. If the snow melts this week, back I'll go. Hope me and a friend will bring our Late Paleo assemblage to next ASAA meeting. Lucky guy has two complete early lances from the same site.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I hope you both make it to the meeting. I'm planning on going as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread