Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Last weekend I got the chance to dredge in Virginia with another Treasurenet member, and it was a lot of fun. I got to run the dredge for about 5 hours; it should have been longer, but more on that in a minute.
Below I've included a picture of the heavies, and along with the gold (awesome) and lead (glad it's out of the river) I found those two copper looking things that look like the letter "A". I included a closeup taken through a magnifying glass. They're heavy, like lead or gold.
I'm guessing that they're copper parts off of a printed circuit board or something similar, but does anyone know definitively what they are?

A side story about why I only ran the dredge for 5 hours: we were dredging in a side feeder stream, so I had to run water from the pump up to the nozzle over about 50' and about 5-7' of lift. I've got a strong pump and a 3" Hydroforce nozzle and I've always been able to run the pump at about 50% with good flow. Keep in mind that this is my 4th or 5th time using the gear, so I'm not an expert yet.
I got everything set up, started the pump and the hose pressurized, but there was no suction at the nozzle. Since the nozzle's a Hydroforce I opened the valve and water came out of the blaster very strongly, so I knew the pump was delivering water; at first I was worried that the distance or lift was the issue. I figured that something must be plugged up somewhere. I spent probably 60 minutes isolating and troubleshooting different parts of the system one at a time, and narrowed the issue down to the nozzle; something had to be clogging the jet part of the nozzle. Now, it's not easy to take the nozzle off of the outlet hose, but I did it so I could get a good look into the outlet of the jet. And there it was: an acorn. It turns out an acorn is the perfect size to plug the jet on that nozzle. So I poked the acorn back toward the supply side of the jet and it came rattling out. I got everything connected back up, and started the pump.
Still no suction. Still no jet. Um... I guess I didn't check to see if there was a second acorn - and there was.
Fast forwarding, after another disconnect, poke, reconnect, repressurize - STILL no jet. There was a THIRD acorn in there.
I'm convinced some squirrel or chipmunk got into my garage and stored 3 acorns in my nozzle. There is no way that 3 of them accidentally got into the pressure hose when I was setting up. That nozzle must have looked like a hole in a tree to that squirrel/chipmunk, and he/she/it climbed up there and stored a winter snack in that nozzle.
Anyway, I learned A LOT about my equipment that day, and about making sure that you double-check everything before reconnecting the hoses.
And if I'd had a coat hanger - which could bend around the U of the nozzle jet - I would have gotten all 3 acorns out at once. Needless to say, a coat hanger is now standard equipment in my kit.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if you have an idea of what those little copper-looking heavy A things are, please let me know.

- Brian

nhNNrk9.jpg

What is that copper thing in between the two lead shots?
fcsYTsy.jpg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say zipper parts. If there is a bump on opposite side of the indentation on the ends that is what they probably are.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like lead BUT use a metallic object and rub against the pan surface as the oxidized metal will leave a white streak on the surface. I drop of nitric will start eating them also ONLY if your familiar with nitric safety precautions that is. You have learned a good lesson....if it can go wrong it will go wrong learning to dredge. Carry extras of just about everything and tools as you'll need them due to intense vibrations of floating dredges. Low frequency vibrations seems to love to loosen up everything. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brianc053,
Great story, that was kind of the squirrel or rat to share with you and a coat hanger is one of the worlds most universal tools for infinite uses! Those are interesting looking "whats-its", I've no clue what they are though it will be interesting to learn what they are for. Nice lead retrieval! Best of success on your further adventures!...............63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely zipper pieces. I've run into lots of them in the South Platte in Denver.

PS love that squirrel story, lol!!

GoldWiz

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, zipper teeth. I find lots of these also, sleeping bags and tents get washed down the stream all the time and just rot away leaving the zipper teeth behind.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Brian! I can see the frustration now LOL! Deffinatly zipper. Glad that stuff happens to other people besides me.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zipper teeth - thanks guys! I wouldn't have thought of that. Those are a first for me, but I'll keep a lookout for them.

I'm glad folks enjoyed the acorn story. I did not enjoy it at the time. :)

- Brian.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in concordance with the zipper teeth. copper is a really good heavy indicator, I get zipper teeth and rivets from old jeans and I'm hitting good, better than finding lead.
also, brass tacks...I'll post a pic of the copper spoon I found this year...my gold buyers' xrf said it also had a trace of zinc and tin in it as well.
nice gold!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's one more picture for you.
The picker in this picture was found by the unnamed other Treasurenet member I mentioned earlier; he found nice chunky gold that day.
He prefers that I keep the location (and him) unidentified, so I will honor his wishes.

- Brian

oq4DO51.jpg

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job! How often do you get down to Virginia? I think I know where you guys were, how was the creek smelling? Lol.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! How often do you get down to Virginia? I think I know where you guys were, how was the creek smelling? Lol.
This was my first time at this location, though I've been to Contrary Creek quite a few times and I'm a member of the lease down there.
For the most part it was odor-free, but once in a while I'd catch a whiff... :)

- Brian

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never been up there. To far and to much hassle when I have to many good places to pursue much closer, but the creek has definitely produced some beautiful nuggets from what I've seen.

Contrary is an interesting place and is were I started prospecting, but man is it rough on equipment. Haven't been there in over a year though.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a great little story! The acorns would definitely not be something I'd look for in a nozzle clog, and I've cleared a lot of clogs while dredging.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your story so you could post it.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread