Heavily corroded arrow head, or just wishful thinking?

GroovingPict

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2013
Greåker
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd/SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody.

I found this thing when I was out yesterday. I thought it looked like it has the shape of an arrow head, with some serious corrosion going on on the middle part there. Or is it just a random piece of junk that just happens to look that way? I don't know what metal it is, other than that it is definitely not iron (not magnetic, and also no rust). It feels too light to be lead. If it is an arrow head, it would need to be bronze I think, but doesn't bronze turn green when corroded, just like copper? Or am I wrong there? (I mean, bronze is something like 90% copper). I haven't weighed it (I need to get myself a scale). Oh and the ruler is in centimeters, not inches (so it's about three cm long, or slightly less, or just above one inch). It was found in Norway. Im not sure how to explain this, but it looks to me like the arrow shaped parts are on the same "plane", while what would be the corroded "growths" are built up on top of it on either side (or maybe that again is my brain seeing what it wants to see).

Regards,
Tor

pil1.jpg pil2.jpg

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know to be honest but it doesn't loo like one to me, of course i could be wrong. Is there a blood line on it? Arrow heads have them. Interesting find though.

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arrowheads are usually made of flint (or quarts) they usually don't corrode. Try some various techniques for cleaning and see what you come up with.

Upvote 0

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depending on were you picked it out of the ground I find that old corrosion has different colors. Copper= greenish patina which is what color your piece looks like to me. Just my own two cents though.

The pictures are examples of old corrosion:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130829_180440.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_180440.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130829_180515.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_180515.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20130829_180545.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_180545.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20130829_180623.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_180623.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"Too light to be lead" suggests to me this could be melted aluminum scrap-- the kind you might find around a fire ring where someone put their beer can in the coals. It might also be zinc-- this also has a fairly low melting point. One way to tell what kind of metal it is is to do a density test.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GroovingPict

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2013
Greåker
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd/SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Too light to be lead" suggests to me this could be melted aluminum scrap-- the kind you might find around a fire ring where someone put their beer can in the coals. It might also be zinc-- this also has a fairly low melting point. One way to tell what kind of metal it is is to do a density test.

Yes, could very well be. Im not sure how to do a density test though. I guess water displacement and weight?

Tor

P.S. Thank you all for your posts and suggestions :)

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item could be what is left of a knife blade. The bottom nub is what is left what was hafted in the knife handle, and the rest of the knife blade is pretty much rusted away.
By the way, Welcome to TNET! :hello:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread