heavy chunk of metal I found in my backyard

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_2016-05-08-10-17-30-1-1.png Screenshot_2016-05-08-10-17-11-1.png Screenshot_2016-05-08-10-17-06-1.png

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it's shaped it looks like it could have been part of an axe.

Magnets stick to it.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, you have a choice between A.- anything magnetic, or, B.- anything non-magnetic, from the photo it really is unidentifiable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you have a choice between A.- anything magnetic, or, B.- anything non-magnetic, from the photo it really is unidentifiable.

Other things I have found out about it, it melts an ice cube fast and becomes and holds cold fast and becomes warm and holds warmth if ran under hot water, turns a bluish color when wet & doesn't break when hit with a hammer.

Upvote 0

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a rock. Post it in the meteorite section with better pics..........like Rich said.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a lab at one of those universitys in California, you send it to them and they cut a slice off it and catalog it, I seen it once on Pawn Stars.

Upvote 0

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your looks better than my latest find

Scratch test it on the back of a toilet lid or under a porcelain sink if it leaves a mark its Hemitite or magnetite, no mark then grind a flat spot and look for dots or nickle pattern. It won't ruin the value. Looks like a meteorite. Best looking one I have seen so far anyways. This one I found passed all the test but it's still a meteorwrong I'm sure. The inside was interesting with crystal matrix and rusted a week after I split it. Before it was solid black in the inside with dots of lighter and other color. No fusion crust on it. Weight is about 15 pounds for its size thru me off, magnet sticks and so on. But I still don't give it the pass.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scratch test it on the back of a toilet lid or under a porcelain sink if it leaves a mark its Hemitite or magnetite, no mark then grind a flat spot and look for dots or nickle pattern. It won't ruin the value. Looks like a meteorite. Best looking one I have seen so far anyways. This one I found passed all the test but it's still a meteorwrong I'm sure. The inside was interesting with crystal matrix and rusted a week after I split it. Before it was solid black in the inside with dots of lighter and other color. No fusion crust on it. Weight is about 15 pounds for its size thru me off, magnet sticks and so on. But I still don't give it the pass.

On the scratch test is leaves a brown mark.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can I split it? A hammer doesn't work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found The smaller side is a perfect fit to wrap my hand around so I can hit the side that looks like an axe on things, it's to dull to chop trees if course but could it have been used as a animal hide scraper?

I have found traps and trapping tags in my yard also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread