✅ SOLVED Heavy duty cast iron conical thing

GaryB

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2017
Hudson Valley
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s-l1600.jpg

I picked up two of these from a local flea market. I put one on ebay this week and described it as conical smelting mold for gold and silver.

Then I was told by a friend that it could be a mold for nose cones for old missiles or bombs.

I took the listing down until I have a better idea as it is possible that it's none of the above.

It's about 5 inches in length and the top of the cone is about 3 1/2 inches. It's heavy and well made. "700" is raised on the top of the arm.

The slot on the top is longer than the bottom. I figure this was to slide it up under the head of a bolt, then drop it down over a pin on the bottom.

Does anyone know or have any ideas?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May we see a couple more pics from different angles. And please put a common, similar sized object in the pics.

I know you gave us the size but it is much easier to visualize with a reference in the pictures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GaryB

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2017
Hudson Valley
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony in SC, very well could be a machine part. If so I'll re-purpose the set into a cool industrial look paper towel holder or something. I had some old cast iron foot rail brackets that ended up being used for pot rack in the kitchen. IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GaryB

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2017
Hudson Valley
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I put it on facebook and a friend posted to another site and someone got it right. The 700 on the arm corresponds to the weight (700 grams). They were used on a balance (scale) as trays for weighing. So 700 is the tare weight. Thanks to everyone here. Now how do I mark this as "SOLVED"?

Now to find out what the balance looks like and if it had a specific use. haha

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for a Bomb...A nose cone would have threads to screw into the bomb body

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To mark it solved click the tab at the top that says Thread Tools.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread