🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Heavy iron from farm site

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m guessing Farm related. Here’s more info: the square hole is 1” on one side and 3/4” from the other side; possibly wallowed out. The smaller round hole is 5/8” on one side and 1/2” from the other. The ring on left of photos had a 2” inside diameter. The other ring measures 1-3/4” i.d. The rings don’t look worn out. I’d guess the taper was intentional. I thought maybe a mount for a bucket on front of a tractor. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Difficult to ID unless someone has seen something like it.
One possibility is that the square hole in the end was used to rotate a square shaft. If so, the bands could have been used to hold the handle.
Another possibility for the square hole is that it would have accepted the head of a carriage bolt. The square which is part of such a bolt head would prevent the bolt from rotating when the nut on the other end was rotated to tighten or loosen the bolt. In that case, the rings could have been used to hold something like a stake on a wagon.
Those speculations are just a way of trying to contribute to the conversation and perhaps spark some more concrete ideas.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions