Heavy metal ball found about 50 years ago

VickiZ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Hello,
I’m a newbie from Pennsylvania. I live on an farm that was settled in late 1700’s to early 1800’s in Northumberland county. For the past (almost) 50 years I’ve found old metal objects, glass bottles, and numerous other things on the property which I now reside at and I’m curious as to what some of it is. I’m looking forward to seeing what other people posted. What really has me guessing is I found a ‘heavy metal ball’ after my Father plowed a field in front of a cabin/original homestead, probably 40 years ago. I put my ball in the barn and forgot about it but recently, I’ve clean out the barn and I’ve taken another look at it- I’m wondering if I found a cannonball.
Not sure if a cannonball or a metal ball is considered a treasure but I’ve hoarded it this long, it has my interest. I’m hoping someone can help me out, I’ll gladly post pictures and dimensions of my find, if welcomed and wanted.

Thank you
-Vicki

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the site Vicki...:hello:

There are members here that are specialized in cannonballs, and many
other types of goodies the early American settlers left behind.

Usually best to start a new thread (maybe in the "What is It" forum)
about the cannonball. Good pics taken in natural light are best, and
please include as accurate of dimensions as possible.

OP
OP
VickiZ

VickiZ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Welcome to the site Vicki...:hello:

There are members here that are specialized in cannonballs, and many
other types of goodies the early American settlers left behind.

Usually best to start a new thread (maybe in the "What is It" forum)
about the cannonball. Good pics taken in natural light are best, and
please include as accurate of dimensions as possible.
Thank you so much for the welcome and the guidance. 🙂 This is the first forum I’ve ever posted in and I’m totally new to this. I appreciate the help and I’m happy to hear members are within this forum that may be able to solve my mystery. I look forward to posting in the forum mentioned tomorrow and I’ll include realistic pictures and accurate dimensions. Thank you again.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to the great state of PA.

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider posting your pictures on WHAT IS IT? when you are ready for ID Help...

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vicki, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. This ball you are speaking of, is it made of iron? With all the input from forum members here, you'll probably have this ID'd shortly. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
VickiZ

VickiZ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2021
Vicki, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. This ball you are speaking of, is it made of iron? With all the input from forum members here, you'll probably have this ID'd shortly. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for you kind wellcome!
I believe this is cast iron but it could be steel. I have old cast iron pans, which I restored and it appears to have the same characteristics. Other cast iron found in old building locks, handles, hinges.. all seem to appear as this unknown ball appears to my untrained eye.
I will post in the “what is it” and look in the Pennsylvania area to post pictures and dimensions as well. Thank you for responding.

-Vicki

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a VERY FINE internet forum !! TREASURENET :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,
I’m a newbie from Pennsylvania. I live on an farm that was settled in late 1700’s to early 1800’s in Northumberland county. For the past (almost) 50 years I’ve found old metal objects, glass bottles, and numerous other things on the property which I now reside at and I’m curious as to what some of it is. I’m looking forward to seeing what other people posted. What really has me guessing is I found a ‘heavy metal ball’ after my Father plowed a field in front of a cabin/original homestead, probably 40 years ago. I put my ball in the barn and forgot about it but recently, I’ve clean out the barn and I’ve taken another look at it- I’m wondering if I found a cannonball.
Not sure if a cannonball or a metal ball is considered a treasure but I’ve hoarded it this long, it has my interest. I’m hoping someone can help me out, I’ll gladly post pictures and dimensions of my find, if welcomed and wanted.

Thank you
-Vicki
Welcome to the Forum!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from New York!:hello:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN forum! :coffee2:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say this place is great. Folks here are always considerate and helpful.

I eliminated myself from all other social media doohickeys a couple years back. Totally different world over yonder!! Lol

Thanks guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread