Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I posted this yesterday on "what is it?" hoping for answers. I got some ideas, but nobody was really sure about this thing.

When it first came out I just figured it was a big lump of lead, and almost tossed it.

Half of this has a green patina like copper would after being in the ground... the other part came out of the ground smooth and shiny like the pics, but it isn't lead. It is a LOT harder than lead. Nothing is magnetic at all. I was hoping it was natural but I'm leaning towards man made. I have heard of a few stories surfacing about a foundry burning to the ground in the mid to late 1800's somewhere in the area, but I can't find anything on paper. It was in a ball field full of clad quarters (56 so far), that I've been picking at for a couple hours after work the last three nights.

Here is the object in question, any ideas would be appreciated.

It's heavy...

It weighed in at 10.375 oz. or 294.5 grams. It is about 4" long, 2" wide and about 1 1/2" thick at the fattest point. IMG_4040.JPG DCKL1910.JPG KCJQ2683.JPG DZXS3052.JPG

Here's a shot of the back, which seems to be mostly copper with some of the other metal mixed in...

AEKP1823.JPG

Thanks for looking!

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
When you say "It is a LOT harder than lead", how did determine this. What does scratch it? Try different things to see what does. I would think a streak test would also be in order too. Try it and let us know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Sorry, this is my first query on something like this, and I have no clue what to do. I tried scoring it with my knife so far, trying to make a mark or cut it. I did just order a test kit, for what it’s worth. I guess I need to find out what various items are used to determine hardness.

Thanks, I’ll get back to you...

Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't need to be exact for hardness. Proceed from soft to hard and make note of the first thing to scratch it: fingernail, aluminum nail, iron nail, a piece of quartz, topaz, diamond, in that fashion. Also, try to obtain an unglazed piece of both white and black porcelain, make a streak on each with your sample and note the color.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread