Heck with the White Death, the Tawny Death has come!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once a couple years ago I posted where I "chased" a full grown American Cougar through the lawn with my car.

Well today, I was using the car as a snow plow and stopped at the road and LOOKED! The cougar is back. I suppose it never has been gone.

It crossed the street, and in big 6' or so bounds leaped its way to the big tree in the middle of my lawn, which it climbed and then turned around and came back the way it came.

The distance between leaps is about 6' or so, maybe a little more. Tracks are quite wide but blowing snow has filled them in this am to some extent. Note the bunny rabbit tracks for comparison.

IMG_2460.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2462.JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2463.JPG

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokeythecat ,,be careful going out to the chickens,maybe call the local conservation dept,and see what they recommend

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billb, I had to give up the two hens a few weeks ago. Buttercup was dying and Big Red would have died in the cold, so a local no kill farm took them as pets to add to their other hens (and roosters). The local DNR denies they (cougars) exist up here. I don't like going out at night anymore.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey I could loan you a game camera to prove them wrong

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have sightings here in Cent. IL occasionally. Even a few game camera pics. I haven't heard of any lately. They are protected but in my neighborhood the "shoot, shovel, and shut up" rule may apply. Gary

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are people all over the united stats that have all different kinds of wild animals as pets. Some escape. We had a guy here in Malvern Ohio that had a pet mountain lion. It escaped and attacked the owner a sheriff's deputy shot and killed it off of the owner. I know of a couple more instances here in Ohio BIG wild cats escaping. One guy here turned his lions and Tigers looser then killed him self. all of the rbig cats were shot and killed. so it can happen they can be anywhere

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have learned from Matt Dillon it appears the rabbit is stalking the cougar and is just a little behind it. Notice the snow
Crap thats all I got for this humor.
Be safe smokeythecat

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's always an interesting venture to go out and have a walk about after a days fallen snow. Just on what travels across each other's path-it's an eye opener many a time.
When the bay freezes over it looks like an interstate interchange from all the trails in the snow.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct. 19, 2011— -- The massacre began Tuesday evening when sheriff deputies arrived at a notorious wild animal preserve in Zanesville, Ohio, to see Bengal tigers, lions, bears and other ferocious animals wandering away, some headed for the highway.

Fearing the animals would scatter and terrorize the town, officers began dispatching the wildlife with their pistols.

"These animals were on the move and were showing aggressive behavior," said Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz.

"There were some very close calls," the sheriff said. At times it was "almost hand to hand" combat with the animals, Lutz said.

"These are 300 pound Bengal tigers that we had to put down," he said.

During the night of chaos, an escaped lion killed a monkey, and bears and lions were charging at horses kept at the preserve, he said.

When the carnage was over, 49 animals were slaughtered, including 18 Bengal tigers, 17 lions, six black bears, a pair of grizzlies, three mountain lions, two wolves and a baboon.

View Photos of the Exotic Animals Warning: photos of the slain animals are graphic.

The animals had been released by Terry Thompson, the owner of the preserve, who then killed himself, Lutz said.

"These killings were senseless. For our guys to have to do this, it was nonsense, it was crazy," the sheriff said.

ABC News' wildlife expert Jack Hanna, who advised Lutz during the crisis, said it was especially heartbreaking to see so many Bengal tigers killed when they are on the verge of extinction. But the actions by the police saved a catastrophe, he said.

A vet shot one tiger with a tranquilizer from 15 yards away and Lutz said it "just went crazy," and started to run, so officers were forced to shoot it with lethal ammunition. Another animal that got away, described as a big cat, was hit by a car on a highway some distance away, he said.

One animal, a macaque monkey, is still missing and Lutz said it is "highly likely" that it is infected with herpes B virus.

Herpes B isn't dangerous to monkeys, but "it's very dangerous for humans," said Dr. Barb Wolfe, Director of Conservation Medicine at Ohio wildlife conservatory The Wilds.

When passed to humans the rare disease can lead to deadly brain infections, according to the National Primate Research Center in Wisconsin.

Wolfe urged the public not to approach the monkey and to call 911 if it's spotted.

During the chaos, several individuals were arrested for attempting to steal the carcass of a lion that had been killed.

Six animals were still in their cages on the 73-acre spread, and Thompson's wife returned to find at least 30 of her animals lying dead on the ground.

"She's in a state of shock right now obviously," Hanna said. "She cried on my shoulder and said please don't take my family."

The remaining living animals -- a grizzly bear, three leopards and two monkeys -- are being taken to the Columbus Zoo.

"We'll be passing a law here very shortly that she'll have to adhere to as well as the other people in Ohio," Hanna said. "It sometimes takes things like this to make things better."

Thompson, 61, was recently released from prison after serving one year on federal weapons charges. According to investigators he has been cited in the past for animal abuse and neglect.

Lutz described Thompson as "a guy who kind of kept to himself, was always willing to push the envelope a little bit."

"We feel that Mr. Thompson died from a self-inflicted wound. We also feel he had released these animals at some point. Not only were the gates open but some of the pens were open," Lutz said.

Zanesville Animal Massacre

Hanna said he "can see this happening," based on his knowledge about the animal world.

"The guy was depressed and he loved the animals that much, maybe," Hanna said.

Lutz said the Sheriff's department has been aware of animal farm for several years, and that it "has been a huge problem."

Hanna described the conditions as "abominable," saying the animals were living in "filth."

During the hunt to find all 56 animals, the Ohio State Highway Patrol had cordoned off seven square miles near Interstate 70 and officers used infrared devices during the night to find the animals.

On "Good Morning America" today Hanna said that in controlling this situation human life and animal life must both be considered, as does timing of capture.

"Human life has to come first but that's what we have to look for. We have to take care of our animal life. You cannot tranquilize an animal at night. It's hard enough during the daytime," Hanna said.

Danielle White, one of Thompson's neighbors, said that she saw a lion in the area in 2006.

"It's always been a fear of mine knowing [the preserve's owner] had all those animals," she said. "I have kids. I've heard a male lion roar all night."

Thompson has been warned repeatedly over the last decade to get his animals under control – and no less than 30 times in the past year. He was arrested in April of 2005 for cruelty and torture of cattle and bison he had on his property, according to the website pet-abuse.com.

He was charged with one count of having an animal at large, two counts of rendering animal waste and one count of cruelty to animals.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "cougar tracks" is a rabbit running. A rabbits hind legs will be in front of front legs when running.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big freaking rabbits. probably making baby rabbits. Notice the bunny tracks are much fresher than the BIG tracks. I have seen this animal in the past. It may have started as people's pet cougars being released, but they are breeding back in the thousands of acres of woods behind my house. One lady who works at my vets office said she was hiking and ran up on a mother with two kittens. They hadn't seen her, she must have been upwind and backed away very carefully. They have a certain path they take. Gare, I do have a game camera but its in the closet and I'm not sure where I could put it out there where it wouldn't get stolen. Certainly not the telephone pole in the lawn. Maybe the big tree itself. Neighbors have seen the cat too. And sets of tracks. I would never want to hurt it. Unless it attacked me at which point it would be too late. I do NOT go back in the woods and there is a 19th century bottle dump there.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be careful out there Smokey. Keep your gun and shovel handy as suggested.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rabbits can jump much further then 6 foot. Also, when a track starts to melt, it gets bigger. That's why it looks so large. It was probably made by the same rabbit that made the fresh tracks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of like the bunny in Monty Python and the Holy Grail - which ripped folks' throats out and had to be dispatched with the Holy Hand Grenade, right? Now you know how old I am...

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of like the bunny in Monty Python and the Holy Grail - which ripped folks' throats out and had to be dispatched with the Holy Hand Grenade, right? Now you know how old I am...

You lost me on Monty Python, I don't do movies. Besides, I bet I'm older then you. I was here when the Russians sent up Sputnik. The kids are saying, who is Sputnik. Google it kiddies.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You lost me on Monty Python, I don't do movies.

No need to do the movie..here's the scene in two minutes.
And yes, it's the most wicked and evil rabbit...ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread