HEINZ 57 WATCH FOB AND VERY OLD HAND MADE MARBLE

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
THOUGHT ID TRY AND GO OUT AFTER SOME HEAVY RAIN. WELL THESE ARE 2 INTRESTING FINDS I CAME UP WITH, AT A CONSTRUCTION SITE. FIRST THIS SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR NEW HOMES SO MOST DIRT IN LARGE PILES. FOUND THIS VERY UNIQUE MARBLE FIRST ON TOP OF 1 PILE, ITS HAND MADE, IT LOOKS LIKE ITS MADE FROM PORCLIEN. VERY NICE COLORS ALL WAY ROUND. AND NEXT I FOUND THIS NEAT HEINZ 57 WATCH FOB. DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT EITHER, ANYONE KNOWS DATES ID LIKE TO FIND OUT. WELL I SEEN SOME OLD GLASS ON SIDE OF HILL SO I THOUGHT I WOULD INVESTIGATE, WELL I SANK TO MY KNEES AND GOT STUCK . LOL HAD TO CRAWL BACK UP HILL TO GET OUT AFTER LOSING A SHOE. WELL STILL HAD A GOOD TIME AFTER THAT I CALLED IT QUITS. WAIT TO DRY UP AND TO GET MY SHOE TO FIT RIGHT AGAIN. HH TO ALL.

Attachments

• DCP_5604.jpg
    DCP_5604.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Good stuff! The Heinz fob dates from the early 1900's. The marble is probably from about the same period, although they made them for a very long time. It's what collectors call a "Bennington," supposedly because the marbles were thought to have been made in Bennington, Vermont, although actually nearly all of them were made in Germany. The marbles are made of salt-glazed pottery. The "eyes" or spots are where the marbles touched the kiln surface, or each other. The most common colors are brown and cobalt blue, like yours; but they came in other solid colors, too. There are also "fancy" Benningtons, which are variegated in color. For more info, just do a search on "Bennington" + "marble," and you'll get plenty of hits.

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
I have a homemade marble that I found a couple of months ago.It is approximately .8 inches in diameter,is unglased and appears to be made of the same material crocks are made of. Locally they are called slave marbles and are said to have been made by slave potters before the Civil War.

hasbeen

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some very nice finds!! No telling what else you may find there!

Congrats and good luck!

;)

Neat info on your marble hb... ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
CHARK, Interesting Finds, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 452
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 462

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread