Hello From a Noob

D

Deleted member 103125

I am a retired ( 70 something ) college sciences teacher with waaaaay to many tech interests. Have a collection of detectors including a QUICKSILVER CZ-5, GARRETT FREEDOM 3, VANQUISH 540, and a DE-280 VLF-TR-D [ PIX one of these days ]. The newest to me is the OUTLAW picked up at a local thrift store with two Coils. Need to surf a bit to find a manual. Seems I just can't walk past an oooold Detector without my hand twitching towards my wallet :-) Three old detectors that I fixed were donated to the local public library for patron check-out. The librarians say they are popular in warm weather. The OUTLAW; other than replacing the corroded 9 volt battery connectors, one coil with a cable to the "box" that was sliced, and a missing battery door cover it seemed to be in great shape. Too cold right now. Plan on keeping the OUTLAW in my car permanently. Has anyone else fixed up and donated Detectors to their local libraries and schools ? Just a few queries from a clueless me. Are deeeep detectors like the GPZ 7000 worth their price ? Are there companies who might rent these or TWO-BOX Detectors ? Are there any people on TREASURENET who also do MAGNET FISHING and GEOCACHING ?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey noob, welcome to TNet. I'm not much of a techie but I think yours is a swell idea, donating the used machines. Lots of smart people here, someone will come along who knows the answers. I know that there are often magnet fishing posts - if you check the Forums tab (top left) you should be able to find the forums for both of those.

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome
I am also on the + side of life.
Great to have you on TNet

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 103125

Welcome
I am also on the + side of life.
Great to have you on TNet
Thank you for the riposte ! Now, if Spring would just get here. Don't like clawing my frigid fingers through frozen ground chasing a BEEP !

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 103125

Am a bit confused about my DE-280. The downloaded manual talks about there being a 9 vDC and 12 vDC pair of battery box supplies. When I opened up my machine, all I found was two 9 vDC batteries ? Am I doing something wrong ???

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a retired ( 70 something ) college sciences teacher with waaaaay to many tech interests. Have a collection of detectors including a QUICKSILVER CZ-5, GARRETT FREEDOM 3, VANQUISH 540, and a DE-280 VLF-TR-D [ PIX one of these days ]. The newest to me is the OUTLAW picked up at a local thrift store with two Coils. Need to surf a bit to find a manual. Seems I just can't walk past an oooold Detector without my hand twitching towards my wallet :-) Three old detectors that I fixed were donated to the local public library for patron check-out. The librarians say they are popular in warm weather. The OUTLAW; other than replacing the corroded 9 volt battery connectors, one coil with a cable to the "box" that was sliced, and a missing battery door cover it seemed to be in great shape. Too cold right now. Plan on keeping the OUTLAW in my car permanently. Has anyone else fixed up and donated Detectors to their local libraries and schools ? Just a few queries from a clueless me. Are deeeep detectors like the GPZ 7000 worth their price ? Are there companies who might rent these or TWO-BOX Detectors ? Are there any people on TREASURENET who also do MAGNET FISHING and GEOCACHING ?
I do Geocaching (MuggleB8) and occasionally magnet fishing. I’d prefer real fishing, but I just like the thought of finding things.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum !
This is a great place to get your questions answered and learn about the hobby.
This is a HUGE web site - explore the other areas on Tnet and you will find the answers to many of your questions.

Good Hunting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread