Hello From Afghanistan

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Tyndall Air Force Base Florida / Iron River, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari & Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wanted to introduce myself since I just joined this group this month. Have been deployed to AFG for just over 10 months with 56 days to go, not that I'm counting :). Have always been interested in prospecting and with the little bit of extra money I got for being over here I purchased a Gold Hog Viper Highbanker, a Falcon MD-20, and the Gold Hog Gold Cyclone. My home is in far Northern Wisconsin and I have a cabin nearby with a gravel pit along a river. I've panned the local rivers & creeks and usually get at least a few specks of flour gold in every pan. My gravel pit along the river is about 15 acres in size and sits about 12 feet above the river with lots of bedrock along the river and scattered through the woods on the surrounding land. When I get home in mid-May I'll set up the Viper in the gravel pit and start running the gravel and take breaks and use a hand suction dredge I also purchased to get material in places in the river. There's lots of waterfalls in the river with some deep holes so am optimistic in finding something measurable with the hand suction dredge.

Being here in AFG gives lots of time to think, dream, & read everything possible in regards to finding gold. There was an active gold mine near my cabin in the late 1800's and they did find gold so that gives me hope while I sit here far from home and my new equipment is waiting for me. :)

Climbed a local mountain here near our camp yesterday and took a picture (I'm in the red sleeves) with my flag I'll be bringing home and flying over my gold operation in my gravel pit. Hopefully it'll bring me luck and good fortune for all the months and years I've been away from home these last 30+ years.

I look forward to learning from all of you and hearing your stories of good fortune.

Dean

Attachments

• P1010840.JPG
    P1010840.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your service.. be safe, welcome.. and HH!

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno, first let me thank you for your 30+ years of service. I put 20 in myself and also live in WI. I hope your 56 days goes by quickly and safely. Just maybe all the snow will be gone by your retirement. I went out today detecting for the 1st time this year. A lot of the ground is still frozen in the Milwaukee area. Good Luck with your retirement and good look prospecting.

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you got a great place for your operation, in your spare time you can md for relics. I love those old mine sites and have many cool finds. Those old timers left a lot of stuff behind for whatever reason. My friends and I do this all the time and at the end of the day you can hold something in your hand and wonder who owned it and look around and piece together how they were mining, living, etc. Being on your own land makes it even sweeter. Best of luck.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your Service!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Four thumb's Up From Chug and Red HH on the Gold!!! Get back Safe!!! Chug and Red!!!

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I echo the previous sentiments , good luck with your Gold pursuits and for the next 56 days keep your head and a$$ outta site :happysmiley: ..cheers Mick

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for your service. Hope you find the best of health in your digs and of course enough gold you don,t go wanting for much.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome and thank you for your service. detector 8.jpg

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your service. Good luck with your prospecting. you have earned it!

Jim Coulthard

Mar 18, 2014
Box Elder, SD
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi and welcome. I was born and raised is Wisconsin Rapids and my son lives in Solon Springs. I have trapped most of northern Wis. most of my life. I now live in the Black Hills area of South Dakota by Ellsworth AFB. I have paned for gold out here by Deadwood and had good luck but I prefer to hunt agates and fish trout. Be safe, Jim

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
What in tarnation you doing over there don't ya know there is fighting with real bullets a flyin? LOL Get yourself home safe and sound and enjoy your retirement. Thanks for your service!!!!!!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Deno,

Have a safe journey to Iron River.

thank-you-for-your-service.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American-Flag-Eagle.jpg Thank you for your service. And good luck over there and over here!
A cabin, a gravel pit....and a river... You sir, have got it made!

OP
OP
U

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Tyndall Air Force Base Florida / Iron River, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari & Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you to everyone. I can already tell this will be a great forum based on the kindness of you all. If anyone wants a 3 X 5 or smaller U.S. flag flown here up on the mountain just send it over in a small box with a pre addressed/stamped envelope and we'll take it up on the local mountain and take a picture with it. I'll send it back as soon as mail personnel are flown in here by chopper. We are a remote camp and don't have mail service here and they fly them here about every 6 weeks. If they don't fly them in here by the time I leave I'll bring them home and mail them out from there. I'm leaving here in 55 days so you would have to send the flag here this week to make sure I get it on time. We do have our mail flown in here each week just not mail personnel so we can mail stuff out. Please let me know if you send one through this thread so I know to watch for it. I'll send an Afghan Special Forces patch with it you can post by the flag when you put it on your man cave wall.
My address is:
Dean Werner
Engility Commando
Camp Morehead
APO AE 09320

smalltowngirl13

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Dean and as mentioned so many times already, thank you for your military service-it is greatly appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread