Hello from Broome Co New York

EDaniels

Jun 9, 2018
Broome County NY
Primary Interest:
Other
At the end of last summer I got into hunting for artifacts with a buddy from work. The second time we went out I knew I was hooked, I couldnt stop looking even just glancing at something that caught my eye in a gravel parking lot. When I was a kid I was always eager to learn about and intrigued with NA culture and history. I just cant believe I never started searching until now. I actually just went out looking seriously a few times the past month and think Ive done pretty well with some projectiles and i believe a few scraping tools. I have looked on the web and think Ive identified a few but am not really sure. Are there any books anyone could recommend. Thanks and good hunting. Heres my collection so far. There is an obsidian point that my grandfather gave me many years ago. 550242919.jpg

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard --Broome/Chenango county here

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Mr Daniels. Glad to have you with us.

Great at looking tray of New York artifacts. You have a great start on your collection.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from Mississippi.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The large triangle in the center is a Levanna. The best online guide for your region of NY is as follows:

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

It's also available hardcopy, but I am not sure if it's still in print, though I suspect it is.

In addition, this greatly expanded, and just published New England guide, would also work for your area of eastern NY. It is one of the very best typology guides out there at the moment. Hundreds of lifesize images of point types found in the Northeast. The lithics shown would not generally be found in your area, except for the NY cherts it illustrates, but the point types are found in your area. Worth every cent....

https://www.shop.massarchaeology.org/product.sc?productId=51

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions