Hello from the Finger Lakes in Upstate New York.

gnerble

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here. I don't even have a detector yet, but I'm keen on getting into it after thaw. I need the exercise, as I am having surgery to remove a kidney that's got the Big C (I should be fine, I'm young and healthy!). I've done field walking as a child, looking for arrowheads and such, and hope to get back into that as well.

For a living, I'm a junk/collectible/antique dealer like my father before me, and his mother before him. You could say it's a family business. That said, I won't be doing detecting/relic hunting for business, it's strictly a hobby. Just wanted to clarify that. Besides, my area of business is ephemera and old photographs, mostly.

My idea is to spend about $250-350 to start off on the hobby. I'd like to try a Tesoro Compadre and learn the tones, and also find myself a good pinpointer. Does that sound like a good way to do it? I haven't pulled the trigger on 'em yet.

Anyway! That's me. Just this guy from Upstate NY who likes old stuff, beer, grilling/smoking, and hockey. Hi. :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard gnerble! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New York for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gnerble
I think a Compadre will be a good starter,they are a good machine !
I`ll come up and show you the ropes,let you use my T2...Lodi has some big old farms.
Do you know any farmers up there ?
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnerble

gnerble

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gnerble
I think a Compadre will be a good starter,they are a good machine !
I`ll come up and show you the ropes,let you use my T2...Lodi has some big old farms.
Do you know any farmers up there ?
Gary

I know just about all the farmers and wineries within a 5-10 mile radius. I for sure have permission with at least 3 of them (thus, hundreds of acres), as well as some old cottage and lake front properties.

That's very kind of you! But, it'll have to wait until I'm on the mend after next week's surgery. I don't know how long it'll be before I'm back on my feet and active after getting a kidney removed, heh.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gnerble
Well good luck with the operation,maybe you will be ok by spring and we can meet then...ground is froze now .
I have old maps from up the lake circa 1853 and Sullivan camped up there some where in 1779 i got maps of that too .
Keep in touch ,i`ll send you a Friend Request.
Gary

OP
OP
gnerble

gnerble

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year (well, end of 2015) did some research for some articles I helped out on for the local historical society, whom I write for from time to time. We figured there was a camp somewhere between Hector and Ovid, whether it was Lodi or not is debatable. Still, they went through here for sure, and they had a lot of men in front and behind the main group so I assume they could have camped anywhere. I remember reading about the abandoned indian campfires and such they kept finding as they moved along.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WSelcome aboard. I am in Corning NY and not far from you. Hoping your health recovers and maybe we can get together for a hunt. Maybe the 3 of us you, me and gary

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard----:icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

foundhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome! I cant chime in on your gear advise but, I am local to you. I am in Newfield and lived in Lodi at one point. When you get into the hobby this spring, if your interested in a hunting buddy or just to share information....maybe we could. take care.
Jake

OP
OP
gnerble

gnerble

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many locals for such a rural area, haha. Thanks again, folks! Sounds good foundhound.

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome! I'm new too. I just bought a White's Coinmaster, but with three feet of snow here in Chautauqua County, I can't try it out yet. I live very near a sister to,Your Finger Lakes, Lake Chautauqua. I have heard lot of good things about Tesoro. I my Coinmaster doesn't work out, I plan to give my White's to our neighbor boy, and I will then buy a mid-priced Tesoro. This is a very interesting forum. I hope that You enjoy it as much as I do!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I'm down in Broome County.

We used to keep a sailboat at Sampson S.P.. Had friends with a boat at Lodi Park and occasionally we'd meet up at the Eagle Hotel for drinks or supper.

My first stop would be there to ask permission to hunt the back yard (horse-shoe pits as I recall). That's been there since the mid 1800's. I believe it's closed now, but perhaps that is better - you won't be bothering guests.

OP
OP
gnerble

gnerble

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I'm down in Broome County.

We used to keep a sailboat at Sampson S.P.. Had friends with a boat at Lodi Park and occasionally we'd meet up at the Eagle Hotel for drinks or supper.

My first stop would be there to ask permission to hunt the back yard (horse-shoe pits as I recall). That's been there since the mid 1800's. I believe it's closed now, but perhaps that is better - you won't be bothering guests.

Yes, the poor old Eagle has been closed and sold. I've heard tell of a vegan restaurant opening there. :tard: The new owner is a little... Well, let's just say I'd be surprised if he granted permission.

There is an abandoned playground in town. I'll ask the mayor when I see him in the post office if I can get access.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread